How to Cook Field Peas
Field Peas are as classic of an icon to the southern table as Sweet Tea, Fried Chicken, and Cornbread. Here are steps to cook them properly, full of flavor.
- 4 cups fresh shelled field peas any variety
- 2½ cups chicken stock vegetable stock
- One small slice about 1½ ounces of salt pork
- OR 2 teaspoons of bacon grease
- OR you can use a few small pieces of fresh pork belly or fatback that you precooked slowly in a pan until well browned
- Salt and Peper to Taste
- Optional: Top with fresh chopped tomatoes hot peppers, and onions.
Put 4 cups of fresh field peas in a pot and cover with 2 ½ cups chicken stock or water. Liquid should just barely cover the peas.
Add in 1½ ounces fat seasoning or 2 tbs bacon grease.
Bring to a boil over med-high heat.
If foam develops, remove foam.
Boil for 2 minutes, then reduce heat. Cook at a simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until peas are perfectly tender, but not overcooked.
Taste for seasoning.
Serve by itself or with a side of cornbread.
Calories: 79kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 5mg | Potassium: 191mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 10IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1.7mg