Watergate salad is a classic dessert made with pistachio pudding, fluffy whipped topping, marshmallows, pineapple, and pecans.
The combination creates a creamy, sweet salad that is quick and easy to make.
This tasty classic dish can be served as a side or dessert.
Make it for parties, pot lucks, and cookouts.
Watch how to make watergate salad
Watergate salad brings me back to happy childhood memories.
My grandma made this or her ambrosia fruit salad for our family cookouts.
The watergate salad was the first thing I would dart for on my dinner plate skipping over all the other dishes.
I loved the flavors of the pistachio pudding salad and could not get enough of it.
It continues to be favorite in our home. I hope it will be a favorite in yours!
You will need the following ingredients to make the classic Watergate salad.
- chopped pecans- You can substitute with chopped pistachios or walnuts. If you do not like nuts, you can omit them. However, the nuts add a nice crunch and flavor.
- mini marshmallows
- whipped topping
- pistachio pudding mix
- crushed pineapple with its liquid
For a tasty variation, mix in shredded coconut.
Follow these steps to make watergate salad recipe.
- In a mixing bowl, mix pistachio pudding mix with canned crushed pineapple and its liquid.
- Mix in cool whip.
- Add mini marshmallows and chopped pecans. Mix. Refrigerate 4 or more hours before serving.
**Note** Exact ingredient measurements are in the recipe card at the end of the post.
Do not over mix. Over mixing can cause whipped topping to break down and become runny.
How to store leftovers
Watergate salad (aka pistachio pudding salad) is best made 4 hours to 24 hours in advance. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Try these other retro recipes too!
- Ambrosia Fruit Salad
- Bacon Pea Salad
- Swedish Meatballs Recipe
- Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad
- Port Wine Cheese Ball
- Ground Beef Chow Mein
- Homemade Sloppy Joes
Please leave me a comment below if you make this Watergate salad recipe and tell me what you think about it. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
Watergate Salad Recipe
- 3.4 ounce instant pistachio pudding mix
- 20 ounce can crushed pineapple do not drain
- 8 ounce whipped topping
- 1½ cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- In a mixing bowl, mix pistachio pudding mix with canned crushed pineapple and its liquid.3.4 ounce instant pistachio pudding mix, 20 ounce can crushed pineapple
- Mix in cool whip.8 ounce whipped topping
- Add mini marshmallows and chopped pecans. Mix.1½ cup mini marshmallows, ½ cup pecans
- Refrigerate 4 or more hours before serving.
- Some people like to add in shredded coconut.
- You can substitute with chopped pistachios or walnuts. If you do not like nuts, you can omit them. However, the nuts add a nice crunch and flavor.