This creamy homemade balsamic vinaigrette recipe is a little sweet, a little tangy, and incredibly tasty.
The best thing is, it can be whipped up in 5 minutes with very little effort!
This truly is the best balsamic vinaigrette recipe. It creates a rich, flavorful, creamy dressing.
Throw a hand full of ingredients into a blender or food processor and BAM, it is done!
Store-bought dressings have added sugar, preservatives, and cheap oils. Therefore, scrap your store-bought salad dressing and make your own dressing.
Follow these steps and tips below to learn how to make this creamy balsamic dressing recipe!
Watch how to make
To make this homemade balsamic dressing, you will need the following basic ingredients.
- balsamic vinegar- Use a high quality aged balsamic vinegar for a thicker texture. A lower quality balsamic will be more acidic.
- olive oil- Extra virgin olive oil adds flavor and texture. Do not substitute with canola oil or vegetable oil.
- mayonnaise- Makes the dressing creamy. It also thickens it.
- honey-Adds a perfect balance of sweetness without adding sugar. It also thickens the dressing. For a twist in flavor, you can substitute with pure maple syrup.
- dijon mustard- Do not substitute with yellow mustard. A touch of dijon mustard adds a tangy flavor, a bit of sweetness, and thickens the dressing. You can substitute with a good quality stone ground mustard, however, it will add an additional acidic bite.
- garlic clove- Fresh is best for this recipe, but you can substitute with garlic powder.
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
Making creamy homemade balsamic vinaigrette is so easy! Follow these simple steps.
- Add balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mayonnaise, honey, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and garlic into a blender or food processor.
- Blend until creamy and smooth.
*Full recipe with ingredient measurements is located at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
Note: It is important to use a food processor or blender. This will ensure the dressing will emulsify. If you mix it by hand, the ingredients will notcorrectly blend together creating an unappealing result.
How long does it last?
The creamy balsamic salad dressing will last in the refrigerator 5-7 days. To store dressing, place in an airtight container or glass jar, and refrigerate. If dressing has began to separate, stir with a spoon to give it a good mix when ready to serve.
Why add mayonnaise and mustard?
This is not your particular homemade balsamic vinaigrette.
The typical basic recipe for balsamic vinaigrettes use vinegar and oil only.
This recipe adds mayonnaise and mustard.
Why? Both mayonnaise and mustard act like additional emulsifying agents.
This keeps the dressing that rich thickness without separating apart like a true vinegar and oil dressing.
In addition, the mayonnaise offers a creamy rich texture and the mustard offers a tangy flavor.
The combination of the two with the balsamic and olive oil is PERFECTION! The result is a creamy balsamic dressing that you will LOVE!
Uses for the vinaigrette
Use this homemade balsamic dressing for your favorite salads such as garden salad, simple green salad, spinach salad, goat cheese salad, and chef salad.
It is the star of the show drizzled on tomatoes and mozzarella for a Caprese salad.
It adds great flavor to an Italian pasta salad.
Also, try it as a marinade on chicken or pork.
Use it as a marinade for grilled or roasted eggplant, zucchini, onions, mushrooms, and red peppers. It gives the vegetables an incredible flavor.
This classic balsamic vinaigrette is a great topping for a gourmet sandwich or sub.
For more homemade salad dressings, try:
- Homemade Chunky Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
- Copycat Olive Garden Salad Dressing
- French Dressing
- Greek Salad Dressing
- Creamy Parmesan Salad Dressing
- Dry Ranch Seasoning Mix
Please leave me a comment below if you make this balsamic dressing, and tell me what you think about it. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
Best Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette Recipe-Easy to Make
- ⅓ cup balsamic
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- Add balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mayonnaise, honey, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and garlic clove into a blender or food processor.⅓ cup balsamic, ¾ cup olive oil, 3 tablespoon mayonnaise, 2 tablespoon honey, 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard, ½ tablespoon salt, ½ tablespoon ground pepper, 1 garlic clove
- Blend until creamy and smooth.