This Spanish Garlic Shrimp Recipe layers flavorful spices in the cooking process to build on each other climaxing to an incredibly delectable dish.
Gambas Al Ajillo, which translates into Shrimp with Garlic, is a very popular classic Spanish Tapas Dish.The simple layering cooking process allows each flavor to build on each other climaxing to an incredibly delectable shrimp dish. A slice French bread on the side would be great for sopping up the spicy olive oil butter sauce. Warning! You may want to double this Spanish Garlic recipe. It disappears very fast.
Spanish Garlic Shrimp
I seriously make this Spanish Garlic Shrimp Recipe all the time. It is super easy, simple, and INCREDIBLY good. The mixtures of spices make the shrimp POP with flavor with hints of smokiness and heat. The garlic combined with the seasonings intensifies the flavor. The key in this dish is very thin slices of garlic… You want to eat the garlic with the shrimp. And if you are not on a low-carb diet like I am currently….. You will want a good piece of french bread to sop up that left over sauce. Waste not, it is too darn good!
Spanish Tapas Dish
Garlic Shrimp is a perfect Spanish tapas dish for entertaining.
I like to make it as my guests arrive. I continue cooking it as they hang out with me with a glass of wine. After watching me cook and smelling the aromas with anticipation, I serve it to them fresh and hot. There has never been left overs.
The shrimp are also amazing on a home made pizza or added to a pasta or zoodle dish… I recently made a homemade spinach-crusted pizza with some barbecue sauce for my sauce, topped with Monterey Jack cheese, Spanish Garlic Shrimp, onions, and a little of bacon… OMG!!! Off-the-Chain!!! So there you go… a little inspiration for your kitchen.
This recipe was written for City-View Magazine for my article, "Tapa Time!" If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out: Moroccan-Style Roasted Potatoes, Bacon Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Manchego, Mussels with Sofrito, Pomegranate Red Wine Sangria.
Spanish Garlic Shrimp Recipe
- 1 pound of shrimp
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tbl butter
- 6 garlic cloves coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Combine paprika, nutmeg, chili powder, cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, sugar, salt, and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- If using frozen shrimp, defrost shrimp completely in cold water before using. Peel and devein shrimp. You may keep or remove the tails.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil and butter. Add coarsely chopped garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp to olive oil and butter mixture. Sauté shrimp on each side for one minute.
- Evenly add seasoning mix, red chile flakes, and half of the chopped parsley to shrimp and sauté until completely cooked.
- Remove from heat. Top with remaining parsley and serve.