This post is sponsored by House-Autry but the content and opinions expressed here are my own. This post contains affiliate links.
Tomato Grits Casserole is a delicious Southern comfort dish made of creamy, stone grits mixed with spicy tomatoes and chilies. It is the perfect side dish to serve for breakfast, brunch, or dinner. After one bite, you will be coming for more!
We Southerners LOVE, LOVE, LOVE our grits. However, not just any grits will do. We like the good kind; which are stone grits! That is why I LOVE House-Autry's Stone Grits. They have two selections to choose from: White Stone Grits and Yellow Stone Grits.
What are Stone Grits?
Southern Living explains, "Stone-ground grits are made from whole dried corn kernels that have been coarsely ground the old-fashioned way: between the two stones of a grist mill." Stone grits are superior to regular grits because the grain is left heartier to give a richer, creamier flavor.
For more than 200 years, House-Autry has played a key role in the households of many Southern kitchens with their tasty season breading mixes for chicken, fish, and pork; as well as their hushpuppy mixes, grits, corn bread mixes, biscuit mixes, and gluten-free baking mixes. Their products are known for their quality, taste, and ease of use. Which brings me back to their grits.....
Tomato Grits Casserole
House-Autry grits are delicious served plain with a dab of melted butter. You can sweeten them up with a bit of sugar. However, my favorite way to make them is in a Tomato Grits Casserole!
With this tomato grits casserole recipe, I combine cheese, spicy tomatoes, and chilies with House-Autry's White Stone Grits. (You can also use their Yellow Stone Grits. It will taste just as good. It is a matter of preference.) The end result is a creamy, spicy, flavorful, cheesy side dish. It makes a great side dish with eggs for breakfast or brunch, but it is also a perfect replacement for mac and cheese. Grill some shrimp and serve it on top of this tomato grit casserole and you will have one delectable shrimp and grits dinner!
You can find House-Autry products at Harris Teeter, Publix, Food Lion, Walmart, and Kroger.
Southern Spicy Tomato Grits Casserole
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup House-Autry’s White Stone Grits
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 10 oz can tomatoes with chilies
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add milk and chicken broth to large sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Add grits. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 minutes. Stir grits every few minutes while cooking.
- Add butter and cook an additional 4 minutes uncovered, stirring continuously.
- Add in cream cheese. Stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Beat eggs.
- Add eggs, 1 cup of cheddar, tomatoes with chilies, and green onions and mix well.
- Add grits to a greased 8 x 11 x 2in casserole baking dish.
- Top casserole with remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool down 5 minutes before serving.