These Southern Slow Cooker Green Beans and Potatoes are seasoned with bacon for a delicious flavor.
They are cooked low and slow to allow the bacon flavor to saturate the green beans and the potatoes to become fork tender.
It is an easy side to any meal and is perfect for feeding a crowd.
In the South, we love to season our veggies with BACON!
It gives them such a delicious flavor.
One of my favorite Southern sides is green beans with tender soft petite potatoes or new potatoes.
I often make them with dinner, but I also make them at our cookouts when we are serving our pulled pork.
There is nothing better than having Southern country sides with pulled pork.
I have been asked for this recipe many times, and now I am FINALLY getting it up on the blog!
Watch how to make
You will need the following ingredients to make slow cooker green beans and potatoes with bacon.
- butter-this adds a little extra richness and flavor
- canned flat Italian green beans- You can use any other green beans, but I find these cook the best.
- petite potatoes or new potatoes if in season-Either way, use the really small cute potatoes. I leave the skin, but you can peel them if you want.
- onion-preferably yellow onion, but you can use white onion
- chicken broth- use low sodium if you are watching your salt intake
Can you use fresh green beans?
If green beans are in season, you can use fresh green beans for this recipe.
petite potatoes or new potatoes if in seasonYou can also use frozen. You would cook everything the same way.
Steps for slow cooker green beans
Making slow cooker green beans and potatoes is very easy. Follow these steps.
- Cook 4 slices of bacon in a frying pan.
- Reserve the cooked bacon and cook 1 onion in the bacon grease.
- In a slow cooker, add 3 tbs of butter.
- Top with 2 drained cans of flat Italian green beans.
- Add 24 oz of little petite potatoes .
- Cut up 2 slices of raw bacon and mix in for extra flavor.
- Cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or until potatoes are soft and tender.
- Once cooked, crumble the cooked bacon and mix it in with the green beans.
I grew up using bacon grease and bacon to flavor our green beans.
However, you can also use smoked turkey legs or wings, or ham hocks. Both of these will liven up those green beans into a rich, delicious side dish.
Are you looking for some more tasty Southern sides? Then check out these country dishes:
- Instant Pot Fried Cabbage
- Southern Coleslaw
- Southern Collard Greens
- Cranberry Apple Casserole
- How to Cook Field Peas
- Southern Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans
- Southern Cornbread Dressing
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Southern Hoppin’ John
- Seven Layered Salad
Please leave me a comment below if you make these Southern green beans and potatoes. Tell me what you thought about it. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
Southern Slow Cooker Green Beans and Potatoes
- slow cooker
- 3 tbs butter
- 56 oz canned flat Italian green beans drained
- 24 oz petite potatoes or new potatoes if in season
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1 onion diced
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook 4 slices of bacon. Reserve the cooked bacon.
- Cook 1 diced onion in the bacon grease.
- Slice 3 tbs butter. Add to the slow cooker. Add 24 oz potatoes and 56 oz flat green beans.
- Cut up the remaining 2 slices of raw bacon and add to green beans.
- Pour in 1 ½ cups chicken broth.
- Cook on low heat 6 to 8 hours or high heat 4 to 6 hours. It is done when potatoes are soft and tender.