These Southern Slow Cooker Green Beans and Potatoes are seasoned with bacon for a delicious flavor. They are a perfect side to any meal and easy to make.
In the South, we love to season our veggies with BACON! It gives them such a delicious flavor. One of my favorite Southern sides is green beans with tender soft petite potatoes or new potatoes.
I often make them with dinner, but I also make them at our cookouts when we are serving our pulled pork. There is nothing better than having Southern country sides with pulled pork. I have been asked for this recipe many times, and now I am FINALLY getting it up on the blog!
How to make Slow Cooker Green Beans and Potatoes
Making slow cooker green beans and potatoes is very easy. Follow these steps.
- Cook 4 slices of bacon in a frying pan.
- Reserve the cooked bacon and cook 1 onion in the bacon grease.
- In a slow cooker, add 3 tbs of butter.
- Top with 2 drained cans of flat Italian Green Beans. ( You can use other green beans, but I find these cook the best. If you can get them fresh in the summer time, add them in fresh!)
- Add 24 oz of little petite potatoes or new potatoes. Either way, use the really small cute potatoes. I leave the skin, but you can peel them if you want.
- Add the cooked onion.
- Cut up 2 slices of raw bacon and mix in for extra flavor.
- Cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or until potatoes are soft and tender.
- Once cooked, crumble the cooked bacon and mix it in with the green beans.
What other seasonings can you use?
I grew up using bacon grease and bacon to flavor our green beans. It really gives an amazing taste. I have also found that bacon is the easiest to cook with when cooking the green beans in a crock pot.
However, you can also use smoked turkey legs or wings, or ham hocks. Both of these will liven up those green beans into a rich, delicious side dish.
Are you looking for some more tasty Southern sides? Then check out these country dishes:
- Instant Pot Fried Cabbage
- Crockpot Cheesy Bacon Ranch Potatoes
- Southern Collard Greens
- Cranberry Apple Casserole
- How to Cook Field Peas
- Southern Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans
- Southern Cornbread Dressing
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Southern Hoppin’ John
- Seven Layered Salad
Please leave me a comment below if you make these Southern green beans and potatoes. Tell me what you thought about it. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
Southern Slow Cooker Green Beans and Potatoes
- 3 tbs butter
- 56 oz canned flat Italian green beans drained
- 24 oz petite potatoes or new potatoes if in season
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook 4 slices of bacon. Reserve the cooked bacon.
- Cook onion in the bacon grease.
- Slice butter. Add to Crockpot. Add potatoes and green beans.
- Cut up the remaining 2 slices of raw bacon and add to green beans.
- Pour in chicken broth.
- Cook on low heat 6 to 8 hours or high heat 4 to 6 hours. It is done when potatoes are soft and tender.