This chickpea salad recipe combines chickpeas, cucumbers, tomatoes, cilantro, and red onion in a flavorful lemon dressing.
I have partnered with Pomora Olive Oil. They send me quarterly batch of their newest olive oils in exchange for a post. This post also contains affiliate links.
This dish is colorful and beautiful. It is also super healthy. The chickpeas are a great source of protein. Best of all, it is DELICIOUS! Make it today!
Watch how to make
Making this delicious chickpea salad recipe is SO EASY! Here are a list of ingredients you need to have on hand to make it:
- canned chickpeas-you can use dried chickpeas.
- tomatoes- (I like the sweet cherry tomatoes in this recipe.)
- cucumbers- (The Persian or English cucumbers are best in this salad.)
- fresh cilantro
- red onion- you can substitute for yellow or white
- lemon juice-use fresh squeezed lemon juice
- garlic infused olive oil- you can use plain olive oil.
- cayenne pepper (Omit if you don't want a little spice.)
- salt and pepper to taste
Note: I use Pomora Olive oil for its quality and richness in flavor. This salad is very simple, therefore the olive oil will really stand out. To read more about Pomora Olive Oil, click here.
I have used the garlic olive oil in my Italian Marinated Mushrooms recipe. It thought it would be great in this simple chickpea salad also.
Follow these simple steps to make this chickpea salad.
- Chop fresh cilantro, onion, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Add to a large mixing bowl. Add chickpeas and mix.
- In a seperate small bowl, mix cumin, lemon juice, olive oil, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Mix.
- Add the lemon dressing to the chickpea salad and mix.
Tip: You can eat the salad immediately. However, it is best to refrigerate an hour or more before serving,
Do you have to cook chickpeas for a salad?
I use canned chickpeas in this recipe because they are ready to be served.
You just drain them from the can and rinse them. Canned chickpeas absorb the flavors of the lemon and garlic infused olive oil perfectly.
However, you can use dried chickpeas. If you choose to use dried chickpeas, you will need to soak them and then cook them.
Tip: If you want to use dried chickpeas, here is a great resource on how to make them three different ways.
How long will it last?
This simple chickpea salad will taste fresh up to 4 days in the fridge.
What if you don't have garlic infused olive oil?
If you don't have garlic infused olive oil, no worries.
Just add two crushed garlic cloves and substitute garlic infused olive oil with the plain Pomora olive oil.
For additional easy healthy salad recipes, try:
- Israeli Salad
- Dill Cucumber Salad
- Summer Corn Salad
- Mediterranean Beet Salad
- Greek Black Eye Pea Salad
- Mint Watermelon Salad with Feta
- Quinoa Tabouli
Please leave me a comment below if you make this simple chickpea salad and tell me what you thought about it. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
Chickpea Salad Recipe
- 15.5 oz canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 cup cucumber Persian or English cucumbers are the best for this salad
- ½ cup red onion diced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil garlic infused
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper omit if you do not want it a little spicy
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop ¼ cup fresh cilantro, ½ red onion, 1 cup tomatoes, and 1 cup cucumbers. Add to a large mixing bowl. Add chickpeas and mix the salad.1 cup tomatoes, ¼ cup cilantro, 1 cup cucumber, ½ cup red onion, 15.5 oz canned chickpeas
- In a separate small bowl, mix ½ teaspoon cumin, ⅓ cup lemon juice, ¼ cup olive oil, ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.½ teaspoon cumin, ⅓ cup lemon juice, ¼ cup olive oil, ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste
- Pour dressing over salad and mix.
- You can eat the salad immediately. However, it is best to refrigerate an hour or more before serving,