The sweetness coconut milk combined with bright flavors of zesty lime and cilantro transforms plain rice into delicious with this rice cooker coconut rice recipe.
One of my favorite restaurants in Wilmington, NC is a small Panamanian restaurant called Ceviche’s. Their food is bright, colorful, fresh, and made from scratch. Their seasonal menu offers a variety of salsa, guacamole, ceviche, seafood, and Latin American dishes. They also have several tasty signature cocktails to keep the evening fun.
One of my favorite sides there is their coconut rice. It is a bit creamy, sweet, and savory all at once. After the heightened affect on my tastebuds, I had to go home and recreate their tropical flavored dish.
This post contains affiliate links.
Rice Cooker Coconut Rice
I am not great at cooking rice on a stove top. I know you are thinking, “A food blogger that can’t cook rice on a stove top. WHAT?” I can with some recipes such as a Spanish rice…. but for the most part my rice just doesn’t come out perfect. I will get crunchy rice from undercooking or soggy pieces of rice from overcooking. Who wants to eat that? Years ago I bought a rice maker and all of my rice problems in the world have been solved!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Panasonic rice maker. Unfortunately, mine is so old, they don’t sell my model anymore. However if you are looking for a good rice maker, this Tiger Corporation JBV-A10U Micom 5.5-Cup Rice Cooker and Warmer with 3-in-1 Functions gets rave reviews.
The beauty of this rice cooker coconut rice is that you can literally throw it all together in the rice maker! YAY! The rice cooker coconut rice comes out fluffy, flavorful, and delicious. It is a perfect side dish for any occasion. I make it at home to spruce up dinner but I also make it for dinner parties to give my guests a little surprise.
How to cook perfect rice in rice cooker
- Rinse your rice to remove pesticides, herbicides, or contaminants. When your water runs clear, it is perfectly rinsed.
- Rinsing also helps release the starches which prevents clumping.
- Allow your rice to rest after cooking for 5 to 10 minutes. Pop open the lid and let the steam out. Then leave it alone. This helps with the sticking.
- Once rested, fluff up the rice by mixing it up before serving.
Rice Cooker Coconut Rice
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- Rinse rice until water runs clear. Drain any access water.
- Add rice, coconut milk, chicken broth, and cilantro to rice maker.
- Cook on quick setting or white rice setting.
- Open rice maker and allow to sit about 5 to 10 minutes for steam to fully release.
- Mix in lime juice. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.