This Pumpkin Chorizo Dressing brings a little sweet and a little heat to your Holiday dinner. It is a perfect dressing recipe for those who want to get a little daring in the kitchen! While it is a far cry from your traditional dressing recipes, the yummy fall flavors that will compliment a ham or turkey perfectly for your Holidays.
I was recently asked by City View Magazine, in Fayetteville, North Carolina, to write their holiday food feature on dressing recipes. I was so excited, flattered, and delighted! This would be my first article in print and they were using my photographs! I, of course, accepted the challenge. You can read the full article here, “To Stuff or to Dress.”
The first recipe I included was a no brainer for me. Every year my husband’s family makes his Granny’s dressing. It is a timeless, southern traditional recipe that has been handed down through the generations of the Moore Clan. It is wonderfully moist and full of flavor. Be sure to check out Granny Moore’s Dressing Recipe. My Individual Bread Dressing with Pears, Bacon, and Blue Cheese was devised for a gourmet dinner or entertaining.
City View Magazine wanted something unusual and very tasty for their Holiday Issue. Because I try to avoid bread on a day to day basis, this was a bit of a challenge for me. One of my friends suggested creating pumpkin in one of the recipes and so there began my experimenting in the kitchen to create this recipe.
While the combination of the pumpkin, cornbread, and cranberries create a sweeter version than your classic dressing, the chorizo and jalapeño offer a nice savory balance. The sweetness compliments the saltiness of the Turkey or Ham, making it the perfect combination to either holiday dinner. Because the jalapeños are seeded, this dish is not too spicy. If you prefer to take it up a notch and create a spicier dish, keep the seeds.
Pumpkin Chorizo Dressing
- 1 box Jiffy Cornbread
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup milk
- 16 oz chorizo links casings removed
- 4 cups French bread chopped into cubes
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 2 jalapeños seeded and chopped finely
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 15 oz canned plain pumpkin
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Take Jiffy Cornbread Mix, egg, and milk and prepare cornbread according to directions on box.
- Cool cornbread completely. Next cut cornbread into cubes and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Cook Chorizo. Drain the grease. Add Chorizo to mixing bowl.
- Add cubed French bread, chopped onion, chopped jalapeno, cranberries, pumpkin, and broth to mixing bowl. Salt and pepper according to taste. Mix well.
- Grease a 13x9 baking pan.Add mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes or until lightly browned.