This swanky retro Port Wine Cheese Ball has a touch of a sneaky heat balanced balanced with the sweet port wine. Spread the cheese on crackers or apple slices for a fun party appetizer idea.
What is Port Wine Cheese made of?
Port Wine cheese is a combination of sharp cheddar, cream cheese, and port wine. The cheese mixture creates an orange and reddish color because of the addition of the port wine.
How to Make a Port Wine Cheese Ball
Making a Port Wine Cheese Ball is relatively easy. Follow these simple steps:
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 350. Bake almond slices on baking dish for 5 minutes or until toasted. Set aside. (Photo 1)
- Step 2: In a food processor, add cheddar, cream cheese, port wine, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, and seasoned salt. (Photo 2)
- Step 3: Pulse until completely mixed and smooth. (Photo 3)
- Step 4: Using a spatula, transfer cheese mixture into a food storage container for 2 or more hours for the cheese to firm. (Photo 4)
- Step 5: Once firm, cut a piece of parchment paper and empty the mixture in center of parchment paper. Form into a ball. You can use the parchment paper to help you form the ball. (Photo 5)
- Step 6: Cut an additional piece of parchment paper. Place toasted almond slices on parchment paper.
- Step 7: Roll the cheese ball in the toasted almonds until it is completely covered with the toasted almonds. (Photo 6)
Serve with sliced apples or your favorite crackers.
Tip: ALWAYS freshly shred your cheese for this recipe. The pre-shredded cheese has a coating that keeps it dry that prevents it from breaking down properly to absorb the flavors.
My grandmother kept a container of the Wisconsin made version in her fridge that she bought at the store. When I came to visit as a child, I would break into the port wine cheese spread and lather that cheese all over a ritz cracker.
You can still find a store version at all your local grocery stores, but the homemade version is so much better!!!!!
Do you have to use almonds?
I make this cheese ball with almonds. Traditionally, the store made port wine cheese balls are rolled in almonds also.
Some people like it covered in pecans. That is good also.
I also like to mix a bit of cayenne pepper to balance the sweet and salty with a bit of heat. It doesn’t make it hot, it just makes your taste buds POP with each little bite.
Port Wine Cheese is a super easy appetizer recipe to make, and perfect for the upcoming holidays. You should give it a try.
This swanky retro Port Wine Cheese Ball recipe was featured in City View Magazine.
If you like this wine recipe, check out my other recipes featured in the City View Magazine such as:
- Easy Cheesy Jalapeño Beer Bread Recipe
- Best Crockpot Beer, Brats, & Onions Recipe
- Southern Cornbread Dressing
- Baked Raspberry French Toast Casserole
- Moroccan-Style Crispy Roasted Potatoes
- Pomegranate Sangria
- Jalapeno Cheese Grits
If you liked this easy homemade port wine cheese ball recipe, please leave me a comment and tell me how it went. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
Port Wine Cheese Ball Recipe
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 8 oz fine grated sharp cheddar freshly shredded
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ⅓ cup port wine
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp seasoned salt
- parchment paper
- crackers or apple slices to serve with
- Set oven to 350 degrees. Bake 1 cup sliced almond on baking dish for 5 minutes or until toasted. Set aside.
- In a food processor, add 8oz sharp cheddar, 8oz cream cheese, 1/3 cup port wine, 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, and 1/2 seasoned salt. Pulse until completely mixed and smooth.
- Using a spatula, transfer cheese mixture into a food storage container for 2 or more hours for the cheese to firm.
- Once firm, cut a piece of parchment paper and empty the mixture in center of parchment paper. Form into a ball. You can use the parchment paper to help you form the ball.
- Cut an additional piece of parchment paper. Place toasted almond slices on parchment paper.
- Roll the cheese ball in the toasted almonds until it is completely covered with the toasted almonds.
- Serve with sliced apples or your favorite crackers.