Shrimp Salad with Pickled Okra is a delicious Southern Shrimp Salad recipe.
This shrimp salad recipe is made with Southern twist by adding flavorful pickled okra. The sour, salty taste of the pickled okra compliments the sweet taste of the shrimp creating a delicious combination. This Pickled Okra and Shrimp Salad is perfect for entertaining or whipping up for a simple, fresh homemade meal.
We love our okra in the South! We eat it fried, stewed, and pickled. It is great in soups, casseroles, and by itself as a side dish. In the summer, I like to slice and sauté fresh picked okra with fresh corn in a little bit of bacon grease. (That is some good stuff!)
I, personally, love the real spicy pickled okra. It is the perfect condiment for a Bloody Mary. YUM!
When I visit my local farmers market, I always buy a jar of the homemade pickled okra. It doesn't last long in my house because everyone in my home likes it. When I was making this recipe, I had to hide the jar to make sure I would have some to use!
Southern Shrimp Salad
The key to making this Southern Shrimp salad perfect is to use fresh shrimp. If you want to use frozen shrimp, that is fine as long as they have never been cooked!!!! It will not be as good if you use precooked shrimp, I promise.... You will loose that sweetness of the shrimp and your salad will be boring.
*This post contains affiliate links.
I like to serve this salad with a bed of arugula, sliced tomatoes, and okra. It really is a winning combination. However, it would be just as lovely in a buttery croissant.
If you can't find pickled okra in your store, here is a link for Jake & Amos Pickled Okra / 2 Pack
Shrimp Salad with Pickled Okra- A Delicious Southern Shrimp Salad
- 1 1/2 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp
- 1/2 tsp old bay seasoning
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp celery salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced pickled okra not sweet
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- Cook shrimp until they turn pink. Remove from water, drain any access water, and cool.
- Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, old bay seasoning, celery salt, and pepper.
- In a large bowl, mix shrimp, mayonnaise mixture, red bell pepper, pickled okra, and onion.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 or more hours until ready to serve.
- Serve with arugula, avocado, and sliced tomatoes or on a croissant.