Pickled hot peppers are a tasty condiment used with many Asian dishes. This Serrano pepper recipe spices up the traditional jalapeno versions for a hotter affect.
The hot peppers are sweet, hot, and tart at the same time. I love them so much, I can eat them straight out of the jar!
Steps to make refrigerator pickled hot peppers
To make pickled hot peppers, follow these steps:
- Cook vinegar, water and sugar on the stove top. Cook until sugar is completely dissolved. (photo 1)
- Slice garlic and Serrano peppers. (photo 2)
- Allow vinegar mixture to completely cool to room temperature, then pour over garlic and Serrano peppers. (This keeps the peppers crispy and full of flavor.) (photo 3)
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 days before serving.
Tip: Traditionally this recipe is made with jalapeños. You can do that also if you like if you want a little less heat.
The Serrano peppers are not only hotter, they also have a bit of stronger flavor that go really well with the sweet and tartness of this recipe.
How long will the refrigerator pickled hot peppers last?
You can store the refrigerator pickled hot peppers up to two months, maybe longer. My batch never lasts longer than 2 weeks because we eat the heck out of them once they are ready.
What do you use pickled hot peppers on?
Add the peppers to sandwiches, noodle bowls, rice, soup, hamburgers, hotdogs… They go well on anything you want to make hotter. Or eat them straight out of your container for a snack like I do!
Note: The spicy sweet vinegar is good poured on stewed cabbage, collards, and turnip greens.
With the dishes, she had a batch of these homemade hot pickled peppers. I was dishing out the Serrano peppers by the spoonfuls and topping up my dinner plate.
Anh was impressed I could handle the heat. I was like, “I need this Pickled Hot Peppers recipe!!! Like now!!” It’s like my new favorite thing.
Anh was happy to share her recipe. Ann came over personally to make a big batch with me just for you (my readers) so that you can make some to burn your mouth with also.
Is spice your life? If it is, check out these other spicy recipes:
Please leave me a comment below if you make these refrigerator pickled pepper and tell me what you thought about it. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
Pickled Hot Peppers- Serrano Pepper Recipe
- 1 lb serrano peppers
- 1 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 garlic cloves
- Cook vinegar, water, and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved and mixture reaches a soft boil.
- Remove from heat and cool until room temperature.
- Slice garlic very thin.
- Slice serrano peppers.
- Add pepper and garlic into a container. Pour vinegar mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 3 days for full flavoring.