This Open-Faced Shrimp and Basil Lasagna Recipe is fresh and delicious. It makes a beautiful presentation.
It was a lovely day outside; perfect for an outdoor dinner. The sun was shining, the temperature was in the high 70’s, the flowers were blooming, and the bugs had not yet discovered us. I decided to whip up a special dinner and surprise my family by setting the table outside. Why not? The beautiful weather inspired this Open-Faced Shrimp and Basil Lasagna Recipe made only with fresh ingredients. I know you will enjoy this pretty dish as much as we did, so pin it now, and make it later! Bon appetit!
I chose cherry tomatoes for this dish for their sweetness and bold flavor rather than an ordinary garden tomato. I roasted them with a little olive oil and salt and pepper before adding them to the sauce. This extra step really brought out their flavor. They also add color and texture to this dish.
Use a good parmesan. The sauce is light and not overpowering, therefore the cheese is an important addition to the flavor combination. This is not a time to skimp on the cheese with the cheap kraft stuff… I know there are some of you that would do that so I am beating you to the punch. I suggest grating it fresh also, but if you want to skip that step and buy a good quality pre-grated cheese, that is up to you… My snobby taste buds say, “Why buy something that has lost a little bit of it’s flavor when you can have the best of the best with a little extra work?” Your choice here as long as you buy the good stuff!
Finally, use fresh onion, mushrooms, and basil. Don’t let me find out you bought canned mushrooms and used dry basil! That is a big NO! NO! This recipe will be ruined if you do not use fresh ingredients. I promise. Do this recipe right and you will thank me for it. If you are one of those weird mushroom haters (You have no idea what you are missing!), then it is okay to omit the mushrooms. My daughter hates them, so I just pick them out when I serve her. She is mortified when I cook anything with the mushrooms, so I truly have to sneak those in. Fortunately, the rest of us in my home love the little fungi!
I snuck in baby kale and my daughter had no idea. It was a perfect ingredient to this combination. Because the toppings had several veggies, I didn’t feel it was necessary to have a lot of pasta. I only used one noodle per plate. Believe me, it was filling enough with the other ingredients. You are able to get your pasta fix without feeling terribly guilty because the rest of the ingredients are rather healthy. I used whole wheat pasta to keep it on the healthy side, but to be honest I prefer the white pasta. I try to eat healthy when I can. You choose what works best for you.
If you like this recipe, check out: Jalapeño, Cilantro, and Lime Brown Rice, Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Speck Ham and Balsamic Glaze, Gazpacho Soup.
Open-Faced Shrimp and Basil Lasagna Recipe
- 4 lasagna noodles
- 2 cups baby kale or spinach
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 1 tbs fresh minced garlic
- 2 tbs butter
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 tbs instant chicken bouillon granules
- ¾ cup fresh basil
- 8 oz baby portobello mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes roasted
- ¼ cup fresh grated parmesan plus extra for garnishing
- 1½ pd of shrimp
- Salt and pepper
- Add cherry tomatoes to a baking dish, spray a little olive oil, and add salt and pepper. Roast at 375 for about 15 minutes. You do not want them overcooked.
- Cook the noodles and set aside keeping warm.
- Sauté garlic, mushrooms, and onion in butter. When translucent, add baby kale.
- In a small bowl, mix wine and chicken bouillon. Add wine to vegetables mixture.
- Add in shrimp and tomatoes. Cover and simmer until shrimp turn pink. Approximately 2 minutes.
- Add in parmesan and mix to thicken.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles.
- Once cooked, put the lasagna noodle on plate.
- Put a spoonful of sauce and shrimp mixture on noodle, then fold a section of lasagna over mixture.
- Top with another spoonful of topping and fold noodle over one last time.
- Top with sauce, shrimp, and extra cheese for garnishing. Salt and pepper.
- Repeat for the additional servings.