Who wouldn’t love this Mexican fried ice cream recipe with cornflakes? It’s made with a crunchy, buttery outer layer and a sweet, cinnamon, ice cream center. It has become a favorite of mine!
Mexican Fried Ice Cream, who couldn’t love that? Made with a crunchy, sweet, buttery outer layer and a sweet, creamy, cinnamon, ice cream center…. It has become one of our favorite ice cream treats!
Mexican Fried Ice Cream Recipe
When I have a bunch of kids coming over, I make this recipe.
I know that I become the “cool” mom for serving this to them. They practically drool over the stuff. They have no idea how easy it is to make and they think it is the greatest dessert ever… Could be because it is….
I tried Fried Ice Cream for the first time at our favorite Mexican Restaurant when I was pregnant with my daughter. I became hooked. I literally would go to eat there and order only dessert. If I had room for anything else, then I would order a meal…. My cravings were out of control. Could be why my daughter has such a sweet tooth???? Either way, I had to figure out how to make it myself.
After some research and playing around with the recipe, I have come up with a pretty darn good version if I do say so myself.
First you pan fry crushed cornflakes in butter and sugar until crispy.
This is the time my husband will magically appear in my kitchen to see what I am up to. The smells of butter and sugar take over the kitchen and allure him in the kitchen. I will then have to repeatedly smack his hands to keep him out of my cornflakes as he tries to steal a couple of bites…
Next you spread half of corn flakes in a 9×13 baking dish.
You mix ice cream, cool whip, and cinnamon together and spread it over the cornflakes.
Then you add the remaining layer of cornflakes and drizzle it with honey…..
You freeze it for 5 hours or overnight. It is great by itself or you can garnish it with your favorite ice cream toppings. Easy, right? Give it a try. You will make some folks pretty HAPPY!!!!
Mexican Fried Ice Cream Recipe with Cornflakes
Who wouldn't love this Mexican fried ice cream recipe with cornflakes? It's made with a crunchy, buttery outer layer and a sweet, cinnamon, ice cream center. It has become a favorite of mine!
- 3 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 stick butter or 1/2 cup
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 16 oz cool whip
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- chocolate syrup caramel syrup, whipped cream, and cherries for garnishing (optional)
- Set container of ice cream out to lightly soften.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in frying pan over medium heat.
- Add crushed cornflakes and sugar, mixing and stirring continuously. Be careful not to burn. Cook until crispy.
- Remove from heat.
- Spread half of cornflakes on 9x13 baking dish.
- Mix ice cream, cool whip, and cinnamon.
- Spread ice cream mixture over cornflakes.
- Spread remaining cornflakes over ice cream.
- Drizzle honey over cornflakes.
- Cover pan and freeze 5 hour or overnight.
- Cut in squares to serve.
*Optional: Garnish by drizzling chocolate and caramel syrup. Top with whipped cream and a cherry.