This Mexican cauliflower rice is a great substitute for the traditional Mexican rice. This dish offers all of the great spicy flavors without the high calories and carbs! Make it whether or not you are on a low-carb diet! It is a healthy side dish you can feel good about eating.
I don’t follow a low-carb diet, but I do cut carbs out as often as I can. I am a huge lover of Mexican rice. If you put a big bowl of it in front of me, I would wolf it down in seconds. It tastes so good! While there is nothing wrong with eating Mexican rice from time to time, this Mexican cauliflower rice has all of the same delicious flavors you crave for in rice without the calories!! In other words, you can wolf 5 bowls and not feel one bit guilty!
Mexican Cauliflower Rice
Does it taste just like real rice? No. I am not going to mislead you. It will look like rice. It will taste similar to rice. But the Mexican cauliflower rice will not have the same hard texture as true rice. The cauliflower does a great job absorbing the tasty flavors and seasonings to create a bright, spicy, flavorful dish; but it won’t have that perfect heartiness as a true rice dish. The key is to not overcook the cauliflower to where it becomes mush. If you don’t overcook it, you will be happy with it. Bonus! This is also a great way to make boring cauliflower DELICIOUS!!
If you are into “rice bowls,” this Mexican cauliflower rice makes a great base. Top with grilled chicken, beef, or shrimp, add a little guacamole and maybe some cheese, and you have a tasty healthy meal!
How to Make Mexican Cauliflower Rice
Follow these steps on How to make Mexican cauliflower rice:
- Chop 1 head of cauliflower in your food processor using the grating attachment. If you do not have the grating attachment, you can use the regular blade, but it will be cut different. (You can use frozen chopped rice, but it may become a little more watery from thawing out.)
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add salsa, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and jalapenos. Stir fry for a few minutes until all vegetables are softened.
- Add chopped cauliflower. Sauté until cauliflower becomes tender. Do not overcook or it will become mush!
Mexican Cauliflower Rice-low carb Mexican Rice
- 1 cauliflower head
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup salsa picante
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1/2 bell pepper diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Push cauliflower through food processor using with the grating attachment. Pulse until you have the rice consistency. If you do not have the grating attachment, you can use the regular blade, but it will be cut different.
- Heat olive oil in skillet.
- Add salsa, tomatoes, garlic, onions, bell peppers, and jalapeño. Cook until softened.
- Add in cauliflower. Stir continuously. Mix in cumin. Add salt, and pepper to taste. Cook until just tender. You do not want to overcook. Let stand 2 minutes before serving for cauliflower to absorb in all the liquid.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and jalapeno slices.
Nutrition- Nutrition info is based on estimation only.