Old fashioned macaroni salad is a popular cookout and potluck side dish.
This recipe combines a tangy creamy dressing with macaroni pasta, red bell pepper, cheddar cheese, carrots, celery, and red onion for a delicious salad.
Try making it for your next family and friend gathering.
Everyone will love this retro side dish!
Watch how to make old fashioned macaroni salad
You will need the following ingredients to make old-fashioned macaroni salad.
- macaroni- You can substitute with small shells or ziti.
- real mayonnaise- I prefer Hellmann's or Duke's mayonnaise.
- red bell pepper
- dijon mustard- You can substitute with yellow mustard.
- apple cider vinegar-You can substitute with white wine or white vinegar.
- sharp cheddar-This is optional.
- red onion-You can substitute with yellow, white, or green onion.
You can also add in the following ingredients.
- chopped ham
- garden peas
- boiled eggs
- pickle relish
- fresh dill
- bell pepper
Follow these simple steps to make old-fashioned macaroni salad.
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water until tender. Rinse pasta in cold water until completely chilled. Drain any excess water.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cooked macaroni, diced red onion, diced red bell pepper, shredded carrots, cubed cheddar cheese, and diced celery. Mix well.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix mayonnaise, sugar, and dijon mustard.
- Mix in dressing with macaroni salad.
Make your macaroni salad 1 to 2 hours a head of time. This will allow the pasta to soak up the dressing for full flavor. You can make the pasta salad up to 24 hours in advance.
How long does macaroni salad last?
Store macaroni salad in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Like this recipe? Try some of these other great potluck side dishes!
- Watergate Salad
- Seven Layer Salad
- Southern Potato Salad
- Shrimp Pasta Salad
- Bacon Ranch Potato Salad
- Broccoli Bacon Salad
- Ambrosia Salad
Please leave me a comment below if you make this classic macaroni salad, and tell me what you thought about it. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad
- 8 ounces uncooked macaroni (2 cups)
- 2 celery ribs diced finely
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- ½ red onion diced finely
- ⅓ cup carrots shredded
- 1 cup cheese cut into small cubes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water until tender. Rinse pasta in cold water until completely chilled. Drain any excess water.8 ounces uncooked macaroni
- In a large mixing bowl, add cooked macaroni, diced red onion, diced red bell pepper, shredded carrots, cubed cheddar cheese, and diced celery. Mix well.1 red bell pepper, ½ red onion, ⅓ cup carrots, 1 cup cheese, 2 celery ribs
- In a small mixing bowl, mix mayonnaise, sugar, and dijon mustard.1 cup mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons sugar
- Mix in dressing with macaroni salad. Salt and pepper to taste. You can serve immediately, but it is best to refrigerate 2 or more hours before serving.