This Low Carb Bolognese Recipe is served with butternut squash instead of the traditional pasta.
Low Carb Bolognese
This Low Carb Bolognese Recipe is served over sliced roasted butternut squash. It is so delicous that you will not miss the pasta. You will be amazed how well the sweet, soft roasted butternut squash is complimented with the salty, rich Bolognese sauce.
I was craving a Bolognese sauce, but was trying to watch my carb intake. I try to eat only healthy, good carbs on a typical day. I wasn’t sure if the spiralized zucchini would do this sauce justice, so I roasted butternut squash and experimented with it. Wah-Lah! It was incredible. The Bolognese Sauce and butternut squash are the perfect combination. Give it a try! You will love it! And when you do, I told you so!
The key to a beautiful, perfect Bolognese Sauce is time, patience, and layering.
Begin with cooking your meat until the meat has lost its pink color and has begun to brown. Then add the oregano, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Pour in your wine and stir to absorb any brown bits. The brown bits are flavor and you want to keep that flavor.
I use undrained whole canned tomatoes and blend them in a blender instead of pre-crushed tomatoes. It tastes different, and I promise you this tip is worth the extra work for your sauce. The crushed tomatoes do not have the same taste or texture as the blended whole tomatoes. After you have blended your tomatoes in the blender, add them to your sauce. Add the tomato paste and cook for 45 minutes to give your sauce on low heat, stirring occasionally.
Next slice your butternut squash into very thin pieces. Spray lightly with olive oil, lighty salt and pepper them, and roast them in the oven for about 15 minutes or until desired doneness. Meanwhile, add the heavy cream to the red sauce along with nutmeg. Cook for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in fresh basil and parmesan.
Once your butternut squash is roasted, plate the butternut squash. Top with Bolognese Sauce. Garnish with a little parmesan and basil. Serve!
Low Carb Bolognese Served Over Sliced Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 lb ground veal
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 14 oz can whole tomatoes
- 3 tbs tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 8 oz heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- butternut squash
- Cook ground veal and sirloin until it has lost its pink color.
- Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Stir.
- Add wine, stir to absorb any brown bits.
- Blend undrained whole tomatoes in a blender. Add to sauce.
- Add in tomato paste with a dash of salt and pepper. Slowly bring to a boil, then lower heat to a low heat and cook for 45 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Slice butternut squash to thin slices. Spray lightly with olive oil. Salt and pepper and roast for 15 minutes in oven at 375 or to desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, add heavy cream to sauce and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add basil and parmesan to sauce.
- Plate the sliced butternut squash and add the sauce. Garnish with parmesan and fresh basil.