Jalapeno salsa is a flavorful spicy creamy salsa. Its creamy texture is created from roasted jalapenos, onions, and garlic that is combined with fresh cilantro, lime juice, and olive oil.
This Mexican green sauce is great on chips or your favorite tacos!
I am a HUGE fan of hot and spicy salsas. My local Mexican restaurant has a salsa bar and I am always pouring a bowl of their hottest sauce to dip my chips in.
The roasted jalapeno salsa is one of my favorites. Here is the recipe to make it at home.
Jalapeno salsa video
How to make jalapeno salsa
Follow these easy steps to make spicy, creamy, roasted jalapeno salsa.
- Bake jalapenos, onion, and garlic at 425 in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are completely cooked and softened. (photo 1)
- Remove tops of jalapenos. (photo 2)
- In a food processor or blender, add roasted jalpapenos, onion, garlic, lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, and salt. (photo 3)
- Pulse on high until completely smooth. (photo 4)
Tip: For a milder sauce, remove stems and seeds from jalapenos before roasting.
This Mexican green sauce is AMAZING on homemade tortilla chips! Just make sure you have a drink handy to cool off your mouth!
Can you grill the jalapenos?
If you want, you can grill the jalapenos, onion, and garlic. The result will be an additional smokey flavor.
I have made this jalapeno salsa both roasted and grilled. I love it both ways!
Can you boil the vegetables?
You can boil the jalapenos, onion, and garlic. However, I think the flavor of the salsa becomes bland. I prefer the roasting method for a more intense flavor.
Tips for juicing lime
To get the most juice out of your limes, before cutting, microwave them for 20 to 30 seconds. Also, roll them with firm pressure on a hard surface. These methods help release the juice from their segments.
Can't get enough of Jalapenos? Me either! Here are some additional jalapeno recipes to try!
- Jalapeno Cilantro Hummus
- Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese Beer Bread
- Chimichurri Jalapeno Sauce
- Fire and Ice Pickles
- Jalapeno Cheese Grits
- Pepper Jelly
- Jalapeno Relish
When you make this jalapeno salsa, please tell me what you think in the comment section! It would mean the world to me to hear back. My readers will appreciate the information also.
- food processor or blender
- 9 jalapenos large size
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ white onion quartered
- cilantro large bunch
- 2 limes juiced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Place 9 jalapenos, 3 garlic cloves, and ½ white onion on a baking dish. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are soft and tender.
- Remove tops of jalapenos. Discard tops.
- In a food processor or blender, add roasted jalpapenos, onion, garlic, juice from 2 limes, large bunch of cilantro, 2 tbs olive oil, and 1 tsp salt.
- Pulse on high until completely smooth.
- Cool in refrigerator. Serve when cooled.