Here in the South, grits are a Southern staple on the breakfast plate.
Traditionally they are made simple with a little butter, salt, and pepper. However, this recipe adds a lot of cheese and a bit of jalapeño to make an incredible side dish you can eat for breakfast or dinner! You are going to LOVE these Jalapeño Cheese Grits.
I am a free-lance writer for Cityview Magazine in Fayetteville, NC. I love being able to contribute articles to such a beautiful, well-designed magazine. I recently wrote an article for them called, “Breakfast for the Holidays” featuring four delicious breakfast dishes perfect for entertaining during the holidays. I included this Jalapeño Cheese Grits recipe, Make Ahead Raspberry French Toast, and my Strawberry Stuffed Cinnamon Toast Roll-Ups recipe.
*This post contains affiliate links.
The word “Grits” may be foreign to my Northern friends
Grits are corse meals made from ground corn. You boil them, then add butter or bacon grease, salt, and pepper. They are DELICIOUS with a side of runny over-easy eggs and a side of bacon. It is a staple side dish on every breakfast menu in the South.
Grits by themselves are kind of bland. Adding in the jalapeño and cheese results in a creamy, rich, tasty side dish. You will want it by the bowl full! It is pretty easy to make. These Palmetto Farms White Stone Ground Grits 2 LB – Non-GMO – Just All Natural Corn, No Additives – Naturally Gluten Free, Produced in a Wheat Free Facility – Grinding Grits Since 1934 are one of my favorite brand of grits.
Try it! Tell me how you like it. And if you love it, share it! xoxo
If you like this recipe, check out: Olive Pimento Cheese Recipe, Jalapeño, Cilantro, and Lime Brown Rice, Jalapeño Cilantro Hummus. Don’t forget to share this jalapeno cheese grits recipe with your friends and family.
Jalapeno Cheese Grits Recipe (Southern Living)
- 4 cups water
- 1//2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Quaker Quick Grits
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped jalapeño
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large pot, heat water to a boil and add salt. Slowly pour grits into boiling water. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring continuously while cooking. Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter, cream cheese, jalapeño, and 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Mix until melted.
- Add eggs, garlic, cayenne pepper and mix.
- Pour grits into a greased 8x8 casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheddar cheese over top of grits.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest 10 to 15 minutes before serving.