Country Style Steak is a favorite meal in many homes in the South. It is made with lightly battered cube steak that is cooked in brown gravy and onions until tender.
This recipe makes it from scratch easily in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker!
Typically, after frying, the cube steak is cooked in the oven for 2 or more hours; however with the Instant Pot, cooking time is reduced to less than 30 minutes!
What are the ingredients?
To make this tender, flavorful cube steak, you need the following ingredients:
- cube steak
- beef broth
- Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- Cream of Celery Soup
Steps for cooking Instant Pot Cubed Steak
Here are steps for cooking the Instant Pot cubed steak.
- Cut the cubed steak into smaller pieces.
- After cutting the cubed steak, toss the meat into a ziplock bag filled with flour giving it a nice flour dust on all sides of the meat.
- Add oil to the Instant Pot. Cook steaks on the Sauté setting on each side until crust is brown and crispy (about 3 minutes a side).
- Set aside the steak.
- Deglaze the Instant Pot pan with some of the beef broth.
- Add onions and cook until tender.
- Return the steak to the Instant Pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for 20 minutes on manual High setting.
Note: If you want larger pieces of cube steak, you can fry them separately in a larger pan.
However, if you are cooking everything in the Instant Pot (and why dirty another dish?) then you will cut the cube steak into smaller pieces when frying. The space around the meat to prevents touching and allows it to cook a crispy outer crust.
Can you freeze leftovers?
If you have leftovers, you can freeze country style pot cube steak.
Freeze in an airtight container.
Thaw out completely when you are ready to cook. Reheat in the oven, stove top, or microwave.
For more Southern recipes, check out:
- How to Cook Collard Greens
- Southern Slow Cooker Green Beans and Potatoes
- Instant Pot Southern Fried Cabbage
- Instant Pot Southern Hot Dog Chili
- Southern Cornbread Dressing
- Chicken and Pastry
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Instant Pot Gumbo with Shrimp and Sausage
- Banana Pudding
Please leave me a comment below if you make this Instant Pot Country Style Steak, tell me what you thought about it. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
Country Style Instant Pot Cube Steak Recipe
- 2 lbs cube steak
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 tbs oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 onions
- 10.5 oz can cream of celery soup
- 1 dry package of Lipton Onion Soup mix
- Cut 2 lbs cube steak into smaller pieces.
- Add ⅓ cup flour to ziplock bag.
- Add steak a few at a time to bag to flour meat.
- Add 3 tbs oil to Instant Pot. Turn on Sauté setting.
- Add cube steak in small batches to Instant Pot. Cook on each side until browned and crispy.
- Set cube steak aside. Deglaze bottom of Instant Pot with 3 tbs of the beef broth.
- Add 2 thickly sliced onions and cook them until tender.
- Return cube steak on top of onions.
- Mix remaining 2 cups broth, cream of celery soup, and Lipton onion soup mix.
- Add sauce mixture over the cube steak.
- Cook on Manual High for 20 minutes.
- Quick release pressure.
- Turn off Instant Pot and rest for 5 minutes. (This will thicken the gravy.) Serve over rice or with mashed potatoes.