In the South during the cold months, collard greens and black eyed peas are a beloved staple in the kitchen. This Instant Pot Black Eyed Pea & Collard Green Soup with Smoked Ham recipe combines the two staples to create a delicious warm hearty soup in just a few minutes of cooking time.
Instant Pot Black Eyed Pea and Collard Green Soup
Instant Pot Black Eyed Pea and Collard Green Soup with Smoked Ham is super easy to make. The great thing is you cook everything in your Instant Pot, so you won't make a huge mess in the kitchen.
Black eyed peas and collard greens on New Years Day
It is a Southern tradition to eat black-eyed peas and collard greens on New Years Day. The combination is supposed to bring you good luck and money. Therefore, I originally created this recipe for New Years Day. However this Pressure Cooker Black Eyed Pea and Collard Green Soup is wholesome and hearty, so it also makes an ideal dish for those busy cold week nights. Add in a side of homemade corn bread and you have one killer meal. An added bonus is it is pretty cheap to make.
I used smoked ham in this recipe. However, you can substitute the smoked ham for a smoked ham hock. Smoked ham hock is not always easy to find. They did not have any at the store for me when I went there. Therefore, I used smoked ham. The Smoked ham hock has more fat and is a bit more saltier. It will give the soup a greater richness. If you use the smoked ham, you will want to cook it in the soup, then take it out and cut up to add back in after you cook the soup. You can use which ever ham you prefer and it will still turn out great.
I like to throw in a couple dashes of hot sauce in my bowl to spice it up. Hot sauce and collard greens go hand-in-hand!
Instant Pot Black Eyed Pea and Collard Green Soup with Smoked Ham
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 bunch collard greens, ribs removed & cut into bite size pieces about 1 pound
- 1 pound smoked ham, chopped
- 1 15oz canned black eyed peas, drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs hot sauce
- Turn the Saute setting on the Instant Pot.
- Add olive oil, onions, garlic, and celery. Saute until soft and translucent.
- Add carrots, collard greens, ham, chicken broth, black eyed peas,and apple cider vinegar.
- Lock the lid on the Instant Pot and cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Fast release, salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
Nutrition- Nutrition info is based on estimation only.