Learn how to make baba ganoush with this easy recipe.
It is perfect to make for a delicious appetizer, snack, or a healthy spread on a sandwich.
All ingredients are natural, paleo, whole 30, low carb, and gluten free.
Watch how to make it
What is baba ganoush made of?
Baba ganoush is made with roasted eggplant, tahini paste, garlic, and lemon juice.
Making Baba Ganoush is incredibly easy. Follow these steps.
- Preheat oven to 425. Slice eggplant in half. Pierce outside skin with a fork. Lay flat on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake 45- 50 minutes until the eggplant is completely soft and collapsing.
- Remove from oven. Completely cool. Scoop out eggplant and add to a food processor.
- Add tahini paste, garlic, and lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
What is tahini paste made of?
Tahini paste is made of sesame seeds. It takes on a flavor similar to peanut butter.
When making baba ganoush, the tahini paste thickens the creamy roasted eggplant creating a smokey, buttery, nutty tasting spread.
It is a delicious combination.
Here are some tips on how to make baba ganoush:
- Use a pretty, medium sized eggplant.
- Roast the eggplant until completely soft. If it isn't completely roasted, you will have chunks and it won't be perfectly creamy.
- Use a good tahini paste.
- Make sure you mix the tahini paste before adding it to the eggplant. If you don't mix it properly you will have a disproportionate amount of sesame seeds or oil.
- Traditional baba ganoush is roasted over an open flame to create a smoke taste. If you want a smokey taste, char the eggplant on the grill or over an open flame before roasting it.
- You can drizzle a little olive oil on top for extra flavoring.
How long can you store it in the refrigerator?
It can be stored in an air tight container up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
I started making this easy baba ganoush recipe years ago when I was on my low-carb diet.
It made a perfect dip for my veggies with no guilt. I loved the creamy soft texture.
It is so flavorful. Most people spread it on pita or nan.
It is amazing if you spread it on pita, then layer it with lettuce, feta, onions, tomatoes, and olives; and eat it like a Mediterranean Pizza.... SOOO GOOD!
For more Mediterranean recipes, try:
- Quinoa Tabouli
- Mediterranean Beet Salad
- Greek Lamb Meatballs
- Greek Lemon Potatoes
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Jalapeno Cilantro Hummus
- Greek Layer Dip
- Zucchini Curry Soup
Please leave me a comment below if you make this baba ganoush and tell me what you thought about it. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
Also post your picture of your spread on Instagram or Facebook, and tag @aforkstale with #aforkstale hashtags! I will share with my followers! xoxo!
How to Make Baba Ganoush
- 1 eggplant medium to large sized
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 2 tablespoon tahini paste
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Slice 1 eggplant in half. Pierce outside skin with a fork. Lay flat on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake 45- 50 minutes until the eggplant is completely soft and collapsing.
- Remove from oven. Completely cool.
- Scoop out eggplant and add to a food processor.
- Add 2 tablespoon tahini paste, 2 garlic cloves, 2 tablespoon lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.