This is the best homemade blue cheese dressing recipe you will ever make! It is incredibly easy and wicked good. The thick and creamy dressing is made with crumbled blue cheese, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice. It is perfect for everyday meals or entertaining!
I have a big character flaw; I am a HUGE salad dressing SNOB. I stick my nose up at anything that isn't homemade. If you try to serve me something with that fake store bought mess, I will give you a glare. If I am at your house and you serve me a salad with salad dressing that didn't at least from the refrigerated section, I will politely smile, eat it, and say thank you (my mama taught me manners). But in my head, I am having a temper tantrum, rolling my eyes, and possibly gagging. The fake ranch sends me to a mental breakdown; I can't stand that stuff… YUCK!!
Homemade Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
I make most of my salad dressings from scratch. In addition to this homemade blue cheese salad dressing recipe, I also have the following homemade salad dressings on the blog:
- Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Copycat Olive Garden Salad Dressing
- Creamy Parmesan Salad Dressing
- And a 20 Incredibly Delicious Homemade Salad Dressing Round Up Post!
Why oh Why would you want to use store-bought dressing when homemade is so easy? Salad dressing is one of the easiest things you can make in the kitchen? I understand maybe moms giving their kids the yucky plastic bottled stuff because kids are weird, picky little eaters with undeveloped taste buds that don't know any better half of the time, but why would an adult want that stuff????? Ewe!
If we go out to eat, I always ask which dressings are homemade. When the restaurants don't have any homemade my husband gives me a look like a deer in headlights. I know he is thinking, "Uh oh, here we go again… Just suck it up." He could care less. I pout, sometimes refuse to eat it; or if I do eat it, I eat it with a disdained disgusted look on my face. I am not good at faking facial expressions.
What can I say? It is my character flaw. If I owned a restaurant, there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I would serve FAKE SALAD DRESSINGS!!! Why go through the expense, time, and effort to serve a beautiful fresh salad just to turn around and top it with some bland, full of preservatives, highly processed, fake colored tasteless sauce? Inquiring minds want to know.
The best homemade blue cheese dressing
To save you the dilemma of buying that Gawd Awful plastic bottle blue cheese mystery stuff, I am sharing with you the BEST Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe ever!!! You are welcome! I found it in this little cookbook called,"Heavenly Bits of Baptist Cookery." Inside, I have discovered all kinds of incredible recipes in this book for some gooooooood Southern cooking. As you can see, I have used this book just a little bit. My husband's granny gave it to me. It has been a treasured jewel in my kitchen. Church cookbooks are always the best for simple, homemade, tasty recipes… I have collected probably about 50…
How do you make the salad dressing?
With this dressing, you literally just throw the ingredients all together in a bowl. Mix together and BAMB! Magic for your salads! How easy is that?
What type of blue cheese should you use in homemade blue cheese dressing?
There are actually several types of blue cheese to use for blue cheese dressing. Each blue cheese will give your homemade blue cheese dressing a different flavor!
- Danish blue cheese is creamy, mild, and smooth. It is perfect if you want a mild blue cheese dressing.
- Gorgonzola is an Italian blue cheese that varies from soft to crumbly. It is made with goats milk, cows milk, or both. It is on the lighter side of flavoring in the blue cheese family.
- Maytag is an American blue cheese that is made with cows milk. It too is creamy and mild.
- If you want a strong kick or bite to your blue cheese dressing, you can try a Stilton. It is stronger and more pungent than the Danish, Gorgonzola, or Maytag.
- Roquefort is a strong, "stinky" cheese. This is a cheese only for serious blue cheese fans. It is very strong in flavor. Most people will run from stilton, so I don't recommend using it in your homemade dressing if you are making it for others to enjoy.
What to eat with blue cheese dressing?
Blue cheese is amazing on salad, but it is also fantastic on many other things! Try this blue cheese dressing on the following:
- Use it as a sandwich spread.
- Put it on a burger.
- Use it for my spicy buffalo wings dip.
- Use it for a dip for pretzels or homemade chips.
- Use it in potato salad rather than mayonnaise.
- Drizzle on pizza.
- Toss it with cut up raw cauliflower and broccoli for a broccoli/cauliflower blue cheese salad
- Use it as a dip for my buffalo cauliflower bites
- Use it as a dip for french fries
- Add it to a baked potato
If you are a blue cheese (aka "stinky cheese") lover like me, check out:
- Blue Cheese Compound Butter
- Buffalo Deviled Eggs
- Asparagus and Blue Cheese Rollups
- Individual Bread Dressing with Pears, Bacon, and Blue Cheese
- Pear, Blue Cheese, and Caramelized Onion Galette
You will love these recipes also.
Did you enjoy this homemade chunky blue cheese dressing recipe? Please leave me a comment and share this post with your family and friends.
Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 6 drops hot sauce
- 3 /1/2 ounce blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp fresh minced garlic
- Blend all ingredients well. Add Crumbled blue cheese last.
Nutrition- Nutrition info is based on estimation only.