This is the best homemade blue cheese dressing recipe you will ever make!
It is thick and creamy, east to make, and wicked good!
Use it for everyday salads or special dinner entertaining!
I found this salad dressing in a little old cookbook called,"Heavenly Bits of Baptist Cookery."
Inside, I have discovered all kinds of incredible recipes in this book for some gooooooood Southern cooking.
As you can see, I have used this book just a little bit. My husband's granny gave it to me.
It has been a treasured jewel in my kitchen.
Church cookbooks are always the best for simple, homemade, tasty recipes… I have collected probably about 50!
What do ingredients do you need?
For this recipe, you need the following ingredients:
- sour cream
- fresh lemon juice
- blue cheese
- Worcestershire sauce
- minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
How do you make it?
With this dressing, you literally just throw the ingredients all together in a bowl.
Mix together the ingredients and BAMB! Magic for your salads! How easy is that?
How long does it last?
Homemade blue cheese dressing will last up to 7 days in the refrigerator if stored in airtight container.
What type of blue cheese should you use?
There are actually several types of blue cheese to use for blue cheese dressing.
- Danish blue cheese is creamy, mild, and smooth. It is perfect if you want a mild blue cheese dressing.
- Gorgonzola is an Italian blue cheese that varies from soft to crumbly. It is made with goats milk, cows milk, or both. It is on the lighter side of flavoring in the blue cheese family.
- Maytag is an American blue cheese that is made with cows milk. It too is creamy and mild.
- If you want a strong kick or bite to your blue cheese dressing, you can try a Stilton. It is stronger and more pungent than the Danish, Gorgonzola, or Maytag.
- Roquefort is a strong, "stinky" cheese. This is a cheese only for serious blue cheese fans. It is very strong in flavor. Most people will run from stilton, so I don't recommend using it in your homemade dressing if you are making it for others to enjoy.
Different ways to use blue cheese dressing
Blue cheese is amazing on salad, but it is also fantastic on many other things! Try this homemade blue cheese dressing on the following:
- Use it as a sandwich spread.
- Put it on a burger.
- Use it for my spicy buffalo wings dip.
- Use it for a dip for pretzels or homemade chips.
- Use it in potato salad rather than mayonnaise.
- Drizzle on pizza.
- Toss it with cut up raw cauliflower and broccoli for a broccoli/cauliflower blue cheese salad
- Use it as a dip for my buffalo cauliflower bites
- Use it as a dip for french fries
- Add it to a baked potato
Other salad dressing recipes:
I make most of my salad dressings from scratch.
Why oh why would you want to use store-bought dressing when homemade is so easy?
In addition to this homemade blue cheese salad dressing recipe, I also have the following homemade salad dressings on the blog:
- Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Copycat Olive Garden Salad Dressing
- Creamy Parmesan Salad Dressing
- DIY Ranch Seasoning Mix
- And a 20 Incredibly Delicious Homemade Salad Dressing Round Up Post!
Please leave me a comment below if you make this homemade blue cheese dressing, and tell me what you thought about it. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 6 drops hot sauce
- 3 ½ ounce blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ tsp fresh minced garlic
- In a mixing bowl, add 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup mayonnaise, 2 tbs fresh lemon juice, 6 drops hot sauce, 3 ½ oz crumbled blue cheese, 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce, ½ tsp fresh minced garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well until completely combined. You can serve immediately, but it is best to refrigerate an hour before serving to allow the flavors to build.