This yogurt based Greek chicken marinade combines lemon, garlic, and oregano seasoning creating tender, moist, flavorful chicken.
Use it on baked or grilled chicken.
It is also perfect for making chicken kebabs.
The marinade is very simple to put together.
Or top the chicken on a gourmet Greek salad.
Watch how to make Greek Chicken Marinade
You will need the following ingredient for this Greek chicken marinade:
- Dried oregano- You can substitute with finely chopped fresh oregano.
- Garlic cloves- To substitute with dried garlic, use 1 tbs.
- Lemon- Adds loads of flavor.
- Olive oil
- Plain Greek Yogurt- Do not substitute with regular yogurt. The Greek yogurt works best for this recipe.
- Dried parsley- You can substitute with finely chopped fresh parsley.
Tip: This Greek chicken marinade is good on chicken tenders, breasts, legs, thighs, and wings. It would also be good as a marinade for a whole chicken that you would roast in the oven.
Does yogurt tenderize meat?
Yogurt is the perfect way to tenderize meat.
The acids in the yogurt break down the protein wall in meat.
The breakdown of the protein allows the meat to absorb moisture, allowing it to be juicy and tender.
Steps to make Greek chicken marinade
Follow these simple steps to make Greek chicken marinade:
- In a bowl, add Greek yogurt, olive oil, crushed garlic, oregano, lemon juice, parsley, and salt.
- Mix well.
- Marinate chicken.
- Bake or grill the chicken until fully cooked.
There is enough marinade for up to 3lbs of chicken.
How long should you marinate the chicken?
For this recipe, you will need to marinate the chicken at least 30 minutes.
However, for best results, marinate chicken 2 to 6 hours. This time frame allows the chicken to become fully tender and absorb all of the seasonings for flavoring.
Note: Because the marinade tenderizes the chicken, you do not want to marinade chicken longer than 8 hours or it will make begin to make the chicken mushy.
Can you use this Greek marinade on other meats?
This Greek marinade is actually very versatile. It would be delicious also on pork and lamb.
What to serve as a side to make a meal?
Try any of these delicious Greek inspired sides to make the perfect delicious meal!
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Greek Salad Dressing
- Greek Green Beans (Fasolakia)
- Greek Lemon Potatoes
- Chickpea Salad
- Greek Black Eye Pea Salad
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Mediterranean Beet Salad
- Spinach with Lemon
If you like this marinade, you will also love my "Best Chicken Marinade recipe."
It is made with sweet and tangy flavors of honey, Dijon mustard, and brown sugar, combined with apple cider vinegar, lime juice, and olive oil creates the best chicken marinade.
Please leave me a comment below if you make this Greek chicken marinade and tell me what you thought about it. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
Greek Chicken Marinade
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 lemon juiced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- In a mixing bowl, add 1 cup Greek yogurt, 2 tbs olive oil, 4 crushed garlic cloves, 2 teaspoons oregano, 1 juiced lemon, 1 teaspoon parsley, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Mix well.
- Marinate chicken at least 30 minutes. It is best to marinate 2 to 6 hours.
- Bake or grill the chicken until fully cooked.You can substitute with finely chopped fresh oregano