This creamy French dressing recipe is the perfect balance of sweet and tangy making it a delicious topping for your favorite salads.
It is much more flavorful than the store bought version and can easily be made in 2 minutes with staple ingredients you are likely to have on hand.
Try it next time you grill your favorite meats!
Watch how to make French dressing
What is French dressing made of?
This homemade French dressing is made with the following ingredients:
- ketchup-There are other recipes that use tomato paste or tomato puree. If you were to use either, you would need to add sugar. I find the ketchup is creamy and thick. It does a good job emulsifying with the olive oil.
- honey- Some recipes use sugar and sometimes the sugar does not break down properly. I find the honey blends well, adds the perfect balance of sweet, and thickens the dressing beautifully.
- onion powder
- apple cider vinegar- Apple cider vinegar is best, but you can substitute with white wine vinegar or red wine vinegar.
- light olive oil or regular olive oil- Light olive oil is milder in flavor than extra virgin olive oil and lighter in color. Extra virgin olive oil is a better quality olive oil, however, it can overpower the flavor of the dressing. You can also substitute with vegetable oil.
- paprika-Use regular paprika. Do not use smoked paprika.
- celery seed- I love the flavor the celery seed adds, but if you cannot find celery seed, you can substitute with celery salt.
How do you make it?
Making French dressing is easy. Just add the ingredients to a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
To make by hand, add ingredients to a mason jar and shake several times until emulsified.
Making dressing by hand may not emulsify as well as making it in the blender or food processor and may result in a thinner dressing.
How long does it last?
Vinegar based dressings last up to 3 weeks in an air tight container stored in a refrigerator. However the flavors are best if used within a week.
If you substitute onion powder with fresh onion, use within 5 days.
This salad dressing is delicious on any of your favorite garden salads. However, try it also on these salad variations:
- Grilled Romaine lettuce with blue cheese, tomatoes, and bacon.
- Mexican taco salad- Skip the chipotle ranch and try this sweet version instead. It surprisingly compliments the ground beef, beans, corn, and cheese!
- Spinach salad with tomatoes, boiled eggs, bacon, and red onion
- Grilled chicken salad
- Large thick summer tomatoes and red onions
- Cobb Salad
- It is delicious on arugula and endive lettuce as well.
Try some of these homemade dressings also!
- Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
- Greek Salad Dressing
- DIY Ranch Dry Seasoning Mix
- Creamy Parmesan Salad Dressing
- Copy Cat Olive Garden Salad Dressing
- Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette
Did you like this salad dressing recipe? Please leave me a comment below if you make it and tell me what you thought. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
French Dressing Recipe
- food processor or blender
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup honey
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup regular or light olive oil you can substitute with vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon celery seed you can substitute with celery salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add 1 cup ketchup, 1 cup honey, ½ cup apple cider vinegar, ½ cup regular olive oil, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon paprika, and ½ teaspoon celery seed in a food processor or blender.
- Process until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste.