This is a recipe and tutorial on how to make Vegetarian Eggplant Lasagna. It is an eggplant parmesan dish.
Vegetarian Eggplant Lasagna
These Vegetarian Eggplant Lasagna Stacks taste as good as they look and are an easy eggplant recipe. They freeze well, therefore they can be prepared ahead of time. Vegetarian Eggplant Lasagna Stacks can be served as an entree or heavy hors d'ouvre. They are the perfect addition for your next dinner party!
I just got back from an amazing girls weekend. My girlfriends and I went to our friend Kim's parents house where we were greeted with Cosmopolitans upon arrival. If that isn't a fun way to start a girls weekend, I don't know what is.
Kim's parents, Aura Lee and Bill Wilson, live on a beautiful house on the lake in Virginia.
*This post contains affiliate links.
On the first night, Aura Lee showered us with good food, wine, and enjoyable company. We were all giggles and smiles… completely relaxed in the moment… loving every minute of being pampered and spoiled.
Unfortunately, the bugs want to live in paradise too, but alas, Aura Lee had her handy dandy BevHat Wine Glass Cover. Family Pack (Two 2-Packs / 4 BevHats Total). Keep The Bugs Out! to save our wine. Aren't they cool?
I have to get a set of these. I thought they were so nifty, I had to share. I am ordering me a set also!
On the second night, Aura Lee and Bill wanted to take us out to a great little Mexican Restaurant that was just a few minutes boat ride away. There were not many restaurants within a short driving distance, but the Mexican Restaurant was a hot spot to all the local lake boaters. Margaritas, tequila, chips and salsa… we were game!
We were having a blast on the boat when all the sudden we noticed a burning smell… And then there was smoke! Alot of smoke!
The engine overheated and possibly caught on fire. We had to be rescued to another boat while the fire rescue boat had to tow away our boat. We felt so bad for Kim's parents.
But Aura Lee is a very prepared woman. She was not about to let a little fire and smoke get in the way of a good time. She had handmade Vegetarian Eggplant Lasagna Stacks in the freezer that she pulled out to reheat.
I am a food blogger, and I am shamed to admit that I don't have amazing dinners ready made in my freezer. I certainly do not have a delicious eggplant lasagna-no noodles awaiting for unforeseen guests..... I was incredibly impressed.
I mean, just look at them!
The vegetarian eggplant lasagna stacks were beautiful! And she had them heated and set on a plate in no time.
They tasted even better than they looked!
We heard the Margaritas were pretty amazing at the Mexican Restaurant, but there is no doubt that we had the better dinner! And all the excitement sure made for a better story. This is one girl's trip that we will remember well.
Easy Eggplant Recipe
I had to make sure Aura Lee shared this easy eggplant recipe with me for me to recreate and of course share with my readers! You will LOVE this recipe, I promise. Aura Lee received this recipe from her friend, Carol Quibell. I think I will be asking for many recipes from Aura Lee in the future! She is a remarkable cook.
She also shared her delicious loaded potato skins recipe. You will want to make these too!
*This easy eggplant lasagna recipe appears slightly complicated because of the amount of steps, but it is really fairly simple. There is just a little prep work and layering… It is worth the effort, believe me!
My Red, White, and Blue Sangria Sparklers would be the perfect drink to accompany these Eggplant Lasagna Stacks. They are light, a little sweet, and bubbly!
Vegetarian Eggplant Lasagna Stacks
- 2 medium sized eggplants
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar of Rao's Marinara Sauce
- 8 oz Mozzarella log
- Peel Eggplant and slice into ¼ inch round slices.
- Lightly oil your cookie sheets with olive oil (I put reynolds wrap on my cookie sheet prior to oiling).
- Beat 1 egg and teaspoon of olive oil.
- Dip the eggplant in beaten egg. Then coat them well with Italian Bread Crumbs.
- Lay the eggplant on cookie sheet and bake in preheated 450 degree oven for about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool on rack. At this point you can either freeze eggplant slices or they are ready to assemble. (I freeze it on a cookie sheet, and then put individually frozen rounds into a zip-lock bag).
- When ready to assemble, make filling.
- For filling, mix together Ricotta cheese, 1 egg yolk, ½ cup of shredded mozzarella, and ¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
- To layer: Put about 1 cup or so of Marinara sauce in glass or alum pan (I use Rao Marinara Sauce).
- First layer: eggplant slice, Rounded Tbsp. of the Ricotta mixture.
- Second layer: Eggplant slice, then marinara sauce, then a little shredded mozzarella.
- Third layer: Eggplant slice, then marinara sauce, then a little grated Parmesan.
- Finish with Approx. ¼ inch of fresh mozzarella. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly.