Texas Caviar is a delicious combination of mixed beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, peppers, that is tossed in a vinaigrette.
It is colorful, healthy, and full of flavor.
Grab some chips or eat it straight out of the bowl.
You are going to love this delicious salsa dip!
This easy Cowboy Caviar recipe disappears quickly in my house.
I make a huge batch and it is gone in like 24 hours.
It is great on chips, but I also like to eat it like a salad.
It is packed with so much healthy, wholesome goodness that I don't have to feel bad munching on it.
Watch how to make Texas Caviar
What are the ingredients for Cowboy caviar?
You will need the following ingredients for this Texas caviar recipe:
- Tomatoes-Try to pick ripe tomatoes.
- Onion-Red, white, or yellow onion will work.
- Bell Pepper
- Jalapeños- For a milder version, remove the seeds.
- Canned Black Beans
- Canned Black Eyed Peas
- Canned Roasted Corn-You can use plain corn as well. This would also be tasty with frozen corn. Just unthaw the corn before mixing in.
- Canned Kidney Beans- I add these for additional texture and flavor.
- Garlic- I use fresh, but you can substitute with garlic powder.
- Red wine vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Red Chili Pepper-This is optional if you want it a little spicier than normal.
Note: I also spice this recipe up a little more than the traditional recipe by adding extra jalapeños and a red chili pepper .. But if you can't take the heat, just add in one jalapeño and omit the rest of peppers. You need at least one to give it a little kick.
This recipe is very versatile. Try some of these other variations:
- Add 2 diced avocados.
- Substitute a green bell pepper with a red bell pepper.
- Omit garlic, lime, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. Add 8 oz bottle of zesty Italian salad dressing.
- Omit kidney beans and black eyed peas. Add one can of pinto beans.
This recipe is great for parties and entertaining. It makes a big batch at one time with relatively little effort.
The freshness and color makes people go crazy over this.
I have a homemade tortilla chip recipe that will really make this dip special.
They are crazy crunchy and so much better than store bought.
I suggest you make both!
Looking for a few other appetizer recipes? Try some of these:
- Cheeseburger Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers
- BLT Deviled Eggs
- Vegetable Pizza on Crescent Roll Dough
- Jalapeno Cilantro Hummus
- Beer Cheese
- Dill Pickle Dip
Please leave me a comment below if you make this Texas caviar recipe, and tell me what you thought about it. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
Easy Texas Caviar Recipe
- 3 large tomatoes diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 red chili pepper seeded and finely chipped
- 3 jalapeños seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cans black beans drained
- 1 can black eyed peas drained
- 1 can roasted corn drained
- 1 can kidney beans drained
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix 3 diced tomatoes, 1 diced onion, 1 diced bell pepper, 1 finely chopped red chili pepper, 3 finely chopped jalapeno peppers, 2 cans drained black beans, 1 can drained black eyed peas, 1 can drained roasted corn, 1 can drained kidney beans, ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro, 2 crushed garlic cloves, juice from one lime, 1 teaspoon cumin, ¼ cup olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in refrigerator at least an hour, but for best results, store for 24 hours for flavors to build.