This is an easy, delicious Seven Layer Salad Recipe that is perfect for pot-lucks, cookouts, and family gatherings.
I could eat seven layer salad everyday! This recipe includes bacon, cheddar cheese, and parmesan, over layers of bell pepper, peas, tomatoes, onions, and lettuce. The combination is delicious! This salad goes fast in my house. It will disappear quick at yours too.
Seven Layer Salad
When I had my first Seven Layer Salad I couldn’t believe how much I loved it. It was one of those things I never had as a child and wondered, “Where the heck has this salad been all my life?” It had bacon, cheese, tomatoes, and PEAS!?!
The thought of peas in a seven layered salad threw me for a loop.
I love peas now, but there was a time when I couldn’t stand them. However, the sweetness of the peas really compliment the seven layered salad mixture and I was surprised that I liked them in the salad. So if you are not a big pea person yourself, don’t knock it until you try it. They are a key ingredient that balances the flavors of the layers.
Should you use frozen or canned peas in your layer salad?
Please, please, please do not use canned peas in this salad. It will not be the same. The canned peas will be too mushy. Use thawed frozen peas. Fresh peas are lovely also. If you have beautiful fresh garden peas, quickly blanch them and then use them in the salad.
What makes a good seven layer salad?
- In addition to the traditional cheddar cheese, I layer parmesan. It gives it a nice added salty compliment to the flavors.
- I also add in tomatoes, so this technically has more layers than the traditional Seven Layer Salad. However, bacon and tomatoes go hand in hand…. And I just love them in this salad. They also add a beautiful color to the dish. The reds, yellows, and greens makes this recipe pretty for any holiday, therefore it is perfect for all of your holiday meals in addition to your cookouts and potlucks.
- A key to making this salad perfect is to chop the lettuce, bell pepper and tomatoes, and finely slice and dice the onions.
You want to get every little layer of each ingredient with every bite and this allows you to get everything on that fork! YUMMMMMMM!
If you like this Southern recipe, check out these tasty Southern salad recipes:
- Black Eyed Pea Greek Salad
- Southern Hoppin’ John Recipe
- Bacon Ranch Potato Salad
- Southern Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Summer Corn Salad
- Shrimp Salad with Pickled Okra
Seven Layer Salad
- 1 head of lettuce chopped
- 3/4 cup finely sliced and diced onion
- 3/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 package of frozen peas they can thaw on the salad
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 pound of bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbs sugar
- In a large casserole 9x 13 dish, layer the lettuce.
- Layer onions, bell pepper, and green peas.
- Mix mayonnaise and sugar. Gently spread mayonnaise mixture over the onions, bell peppers, and green peas layer.
- Salt and pepper.
- Layer parmesan, cheddar cheese, bacon, and tomato.
- Cover and place in refrigerator 4 or more hours or overnight.
- You may toss before serving.