This Easy Chocolate Cherry Sheet Cake is moist and delicious filled with cherries and topped with a crispy, fudge frosting.
I love chocolate covered cherries. It is one of my favorite candies. So why not a chocolate covered cherry cake? YES? YES!
This Easy Chocolate Cherry Sheet Cake is so delicious.
A cherry pie filling is mixed in with the batter. A homemade chocolate fudge topping finishes it off! If you are feeling really indulgent, serve it with a side of cherry ice cream!
Everyone loves a good chocolate cake, but not everyone has had a chocolate cherry cake. You can make this for parties, cookouts, and family gatherings. It will disappear quick.
Now, this is a semi homemade recipe…. Meaning the cake comes out of a box and the cherry filling comes from a can. I make alot of recipes from scratch. But if you can save a couple of steps and you have a winner for a dessert, why not? I have found the box mixes really offer a moist cake, often more than the completely-from-scratch versions. And if you don’t have a lot of time, why bother with unnecessary complications. Sometimes it is okay to skip a few corners.
What is completely from scratch is the to-die-for crackly fudge frosting.
My husband says, “You can’t win friends with salad.” Let me tell you; you can win friends with this chocolate cherry cake topped with this home made fudge frosting. The frosting really makes the cake.
Here is a video tutorial on how to make it.
Share the love… Share some cake… Share this chocolate cherry sheet cake. xoxo
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 2 10oz jars maraschino cherries with out stems, reserve juice (If they have stems, remove them.)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 stick butter
- 1tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a mixing bowl, mix cake mix, eggs, oil, milk, and almond extract until well blended.
- Mix in maraschino cherries and juice.
- In a greased and floured 9x13 baking dish, pour batter.
- Bake 30 to 35 min.
- In the last 5 minutes of baking cake, begin to make frosting.
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, sugar, and cocoa and bring to a boil stirring continuously.
- Boil for one minute stirring and remove from heat.
- Remove from the heat. Add in butter, salt, and almond extract until smooth.
- Quickly spread over warm cake. Frosting will harden as it cools, so spread frosting on cake right away.
- Allow cake to completely cool on wire rack to allow frosting to harden.