This is an easy step-by-step recipe to make the Southern Classic Chicken and Pastry, also known as Southern Chicken and Dumplings.
Chicken and Pastry is one of South's most beloved classic dish. Follow these steps to make some delicious Southern Cooking.
Chicken and Pastry
When I first met my husband I could barely cook. He would get so excited when his Great Aunts would come to visit bringing amazing platters of Eleven Layered Cake, Home Made Pimento Cheese Sandwiches, Field Peas, and his favorite…. Chicken and Pastry. I knew if I wanted to win this man's heart, I better learn how to make these dishes!!!
So I asked one of his sweet Aunts to teach me how to do some of this Southern Cooking. His Aunt Molly was happy to share. I started with the Chicken and Pastry. I would cook hours and hours in the kitchen making pastry from scratch just like Aunt Molly did. I would make quite a mess…. Flour everywhere…. But my husband was so happy when I made it. That made me happy. Soon his friends began requesting me to make it…. but it was so much work, I would only make it on special occasions. Until……
Chicken and Dumplings Easy
One day a family member brought over Chicken and Pastry to a family gathering. Everyone was devouring it. Someone slipped up and told me the hidden secret. They used Anne's Old Fashioned Flat Dumplings. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the homemade version of the pastry or Anne's!!! I was shocked. All those hours and all that mess… And there was an easy frozen version??? Honestly, you cannot tell it is not homemade… So why not? I have been using Anne's Dumplings ever since. If I wasn't an honest person, I would tell everyone I made the pastry and no one would know…. but I couldn't live with myself if I did. So I thought I would share my little secret with you!
They come in this box in the freezer section. They cook just LOVELY!
How to Make Chicken and Pastry
- I take celery, onion, and carrots and throw them in a food processor until they are finely cut. Then I sauté them until they are fully cooked.
- Next I add the cooked carrots, onions, celery, seasonings, and a whole chicken to a large stock pot filling it with water. I cook the chicken in the pot until completely done.
- I take out the chicken and save the broth. I take off all the meat and save it for the pastry. I boil 3 eggs…. This is what makes Molly's version extra special… she adds hard boiled eggs…. Umm, umm, good!
- Next, I bring the broth to a boil adding pastry one by one. I like my pastry thick, so I add the whole box… Pastry goes fast in my household… You have to make all you can make…
- Next you add in the chicken.
- Then you chop up the boiled eggs and add them in next.
Talk about some Good Ol' Southern Soul Food!!!!
Don't you want a bite?
Writing this post is making me hungry all over again!!!
Aunt Molly recently passed away. She is truly missed. Besides my grandmother, she was the foundation to my love for cooking. She cooked with love… And you felt loved when you ate her food. I try to do the same. There is something very satisfying making something with your hands, sharing it, and watching someone else delight in it. I am not half the cook she was, but maybe I will be someday.
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out: French Onion Chicken Casserole, Granny Moore's Dressing, and How to Cook Field Peas.
Easy Chicken and Pastry Recipe- Southern Chicken and Dumplings
- 5 lb Whole Chicken
- 5 Quarts Water
- ¼ cup finely cut carrots
- ½ cup finely cut celery
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 3 boiled eggs
- 1 box Anne's Old Fashioned Dumplings- Thin Pastry Strips
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Sauté onion, carrots, and celery until fully cooked.
- Rinse off chicken.
- Add Chicken and 5 quarts of water to large stock pan.
- Add cooked carrots, onion, celery, salt, and pepper to stock pan.
- Cook chicken in stock pan until completely done. Remove chicken.
- Remove meat from chicken throwing away bones and skin. Set aside chicken meat.
- Bring chicken broth to boil.
- Add Anne's Pastry one by one to boiling water until all pastry is in pot, stirring occasionally to make sure none stick to pan.
- Add in chicken meat and stir.
- Chop and dice boiled egg.
- Add chopped boiled egg to pastry and mix.
Nutrition- Nutrition info is based on estimation only.
Leave a comment and let me know what you think!