This cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole is a vintage recipe that has been served as a home cooked meal in many Southern homes.
Savor the rich and comforting flavors of the South with this chicken Spaghetti casserole.
This dish combines chicken and rich creamy spaghetti with a cheesy panko bread crumb topping.
The casserole is then baked until the cheese is melty and the crust is golden brown.
Make it for a delicious meal your whole family will love.
Watch how to make
In the South, we love our Chicken Casseroles.
My Mother-in-law makes a delicious Ritz Cracker Chicken Casserole.
It is absolutely delicious and one of her recipe staples that our whole family loves.
This chicken casserole is a little different. It is baked like a spaghetti casserole with loads of chicken, a white cheesy cream sauce, and topped with a crunchy cheesy panko crust.
Each bite is loaded with comfort. It is a "Feed Your Soul" kind of meal. My family absolutely loves it. I hope you enjoy!
Ingredients to make chicken spaghetti casserole
You will need the following ingredients to make chicken spaghetti casserole.
- shredded chicken- If you use rotisserie chicken, do not add seasoned salt because the chicken will be seasoned and it will become too salty. I don't recommend canned chicken, but you can use it if you want.
- spaghetti- You can substitute with egg noodles or angle hair pasta.
- cream of chicken soup- You can substitute with cream of mushroom soup.
- sour cream
- chicken broth
- seasoned salt- You cans substitute with salt or Cajun seasoning salt.
- cayenne pepper
- garlic- You can substitute with garlic powder.
- cheddar cheese
- panko bread crumbs
- parmesan cheese
- Italian Parsley- This is optional.
*The full recipe with exact measurements is located at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
Steps to make
Follow these simple steps to make chicken spaghetti casserole.
- Break spaghetti pasta in half and cook according to directions.
- In a mixing bowl, mix sour cream, butter, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, garlic, seasoned salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Mix in shredded chicken and spaghetti noodles.
- Pour mixture into a greased baking dish. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- In a mixing bowl, mix panko bread crumbs with melted butter. Mix in grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Rest 5 minutes then garnish with chopped Italian parsley.
Can you freeze chicken spaghetti casserole?
You can make this meal ahead of time and freeze it .
To freeze, wrap tightly with several layers of saran wrap.
To reheat, completely thaw. Then bake 45 minutes at 350°.
If you like this recipe, check out: French Onion Chicken Noodle Casserole, Hash Brown Casserole, and Southern Cheesy Baked Spaghetti.
If you make this chicken spaghetti casserole, please tell me what you think in the comment section! It would mean the world to me to hear back. My readers will appreciate the information also.
Also post your picture of your chicken casserole on Instagram or Facebook, and tag @aforkstale with #aforkstale hashtags! I will share with my followers! xoxo!
Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
- 4 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 16 ounces sour cream
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup (10.75oz cans)
- ¾ cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup plain panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Break spaghetti pasta in half and cook according to directions.12 ounces spaghetti
- In a mixing bowl, mix sour cream, ½ cup butter, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, garlic, seasoned salt, and cayenne pepper.¾ cup chicken broth, 16 ounces sour cream, ½ cup butter, melted, 2 teaspoons seasoned salt, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, 2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup (10.75oz cans), 2 garlic cloves
- Add in chicken and spaghetti, mixing well to be evenly distributed.4 cups cooked chicken
- Pour mixture into a greased baking dish. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.2 cups cheddar cheese
- In a mixing bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of melted butter with panko bread crumbs. Mix in grated parmesan cheese.¾ cup Parmesan Cheese, 1 cup plain panko bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Bake uncovered 45 minutes or until topping is crispy and inside is bubbly. Rest for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley. (Optional.)1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley for garnish
karrie @ Tasty Ever After
Noodle casserole are the best!! Love comforting meals like this and so easy to put together for a weeknight dinner. And plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day too! 🙂
Dawn - Girl Heart Food
Love meals like this! So comforting and high five for being freezer friendly 🙂 Though, I'm sure it wouldn't last long enough to make it to the freezer 😉
Did you say sour cream? I’m in! We loved this cheesy chicken spaghetti casserole dish. It was seriously satisfying. Thank you!
A great way to change up the same old spaghetti dinner. We used rotisserie chicken so it was easy as well as delicious.
Wow! This casserole dish variant looks so delicious and very yummy! A great pasta dish to add to our favorites! Plus we can never go wrong with pasta! Loved it!
One of my favourite things to make is a chicken casserole, so I know that I am going to be all over this recipe this week. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, I am so excited to make it!
This looks like the perfect comfort food dish to me! My family would go crazy for this. Definitely making it soon! 🙂
This casserole is now my family's fave. It's so easy to make, delicious, and comforting. Best of all...everyone loves it, so I don't need to worry about making a separate meal for everyone
I made this last night. Delicious! I appreciate the way you put the amount of ingredients in each step again. No scrolling back up to see how much. I will definitely be making this again, and again. Thank you!!