Flavors of traditional buffalo chicken are combined with ranch and cheese in a flaky crust to create a scrumptious buffalo ranch chicken pie.
Make it for an EASY, 6 ingredient entree or appetizer.
Our family LOVES, LOVES, LOVES buffalo chicken.
We love it so much I have created 5 buffalo chicken recipes to share with you.
Because we love buffalo chicken, my sweet sister-in-law, Melanie Crenshaw, developed this incredible buffalo ranch chicken pie.
She is an amazing baker and is always making yummy treats for us.
She tweaked the ingredients from the popular buffalo ranch chicken dip to create a tasty cheesy pie.
Watch how to make it
Here is the list of ingredients you will need to make this buffalo chicken pie:
- ranch dressing-Because the ranch is mixed in and then baked in the pie, you can use store bought ranch dressing for this recipe. However, if you want to make ranch from scratch, try my ranch seasoning recipe.
- cream cheese
- chicken breasts-It is best to cook the chicken from scratch. However, if you want to cut time, you can use the canned chicken. I don't think it is as flavorful and moist with the canned chicken.
- pie shell
- Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce- Do not use another hot sauce. This sauce works best for this recipe! Do not confuse the wing sauce with Frank's Red Hot Sauce.
- sharp cheddar cheese- I like the sharp cheddar best with this recipe, but you can substitute with mild or medium cheddar.
Tip: Freshly shredded cheese is ALWAYS BETTER! Do not use pre-shredded cheese unless you absolutely have to. Pre-shredded has cheese has a waxy coating and does not melt the same as the fresh grated cheese.
Instructions to make Buffalo Ranch Chicken Pie
Follow these easy steps to make buffalo ranch chicken pie.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Bake pie shell for 10 minutes.
- Boil chicken breasts.
- Shred chicken.
- Cut cream cheese into cubes.
- In a sauce pan, cook cream cheese, ranch dressing, and cream cheese until cream cheese is melted.
- Shred cheddar cheese.
- Add melted cream cheese mixture and half of the cheddar cheese to the shredded chicken. Mix well.
- Add shredded chicken to the pie shell.
- Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until pie shell is completely cooked and cheese is completely melted.
- Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving the buffalo ranch chicken pie.
How to shred chicken
Shredding chicken is crazy easy if you have a stand mixer! Add your chicken to the stand mixer and turn it on. Out comes perfectly shredded chicken!
However, do not walk away or get distracted. Keep an eye on your chicken as it shreds.
If you leave it too long it can become over-shredded and a bit mushy.
I know from personal experience. I once was distracted and tried to do 5 things at once.
When I walked back to my mixer, it looked like chicken pate!
But rest assured, if you keep a watchful eye on the shredding of your chicken in the mixer, it will turn out perfect!
Tip: We use Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce, but you can use whatever buffalo wing sauce you prefer. However, I think Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce tastes the best! I keep a stock of it ready available in my pantry. The mild is mild... the hot is HOT!
Do You Need to Make a Homemade Pie Crust?
We use a pre-made frozen pie crust. The Harris Teeter brand is pretty near perfect.
After tasting this pie shell, I decided it wasn't worth the effort to make a homemade crust.
Their pie shell has a beautiful shape and tastes just like homemade.
I don't make homemade pie crusts anymore unless I am adding sugar and vanilla for flavoring or making a savory crusts with fresh herbs.
Check out this homemade pie crust recipe if you prefer to make one yourself.
How do you keep the pie crust from becoming soggy?
To keep the crust from becoming soggy, you preheat the crust for 10 minutes.
Keep in mind! When you bake the pie, the fat melts and the pie shrinks. This will cause the pie dough to PUFF!
Solution: Line the pie dough with parchment paper. Add some weight. You can use dried beans or pie weights such as Mrs. Anderson’s Baking Ceramic Pie Crust Weights, Natural Ceramic Stoneware .
Can you freeze
You can freeze this buffalo chicken pie. Make it according to directions. Once you top it with the shredded cheddar, wrap it air tight and freeze it. Thaw it in the refrigerator when you are ready to cook it and continue baking it according to instructions.
I suggest making two and freezing one or giving it to a friend. Friends love friends who share homemade food......
For more chicken recipes, try:
- Crockpot Chicken and Gravy
- French Onion Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Bacon Pineapple Chicken Kebabs
- Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 15 Minute Instant Pot Orange Chicken
When you make this recipe, please let me know what you think in the comment section! I want to hear all about it!! My other readers do too!
Buffalo Ranch Chicken Pie
- 2 chicken breasts approximately 1 lb
- 1 9in pie shell
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ¾ cup Buffalo Wing Sauce
- ¾ cup ranch dressing
- 8 oz block medium sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cook pie shell for 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Boil 2 chicken breasts until cooked.
- Shred chicken.
- Cube 4 oz cream cheese.
- In a sauce pan, add cream cheese, ¾ cup ranch dressing, and ¾ cup buffalo wing sauce. Cook until cream cheese is melted, stirring it together.
- Freshly grate 8 oz cheddar cheese.
- In a mixing bowl, mix shredded chicken, ½ of grated cheese, and buffalo cream cheese mixture.
- Add mixture to the pie shell.
- Top with remaining grated cheese.
- Return the pie to the oven and bake uncovered an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese topping is fully melted.
- Rest 5 minutes and serve.