Make crockpot chicken and gravy with just 4 ingredients!
This simple dump and cook recipe makes delicious, moist, fork tender chicken that easily shreds apart.
This chicken and gravy makes that soul food kind of meal. You know, the kind that melts your heart, fills your belly, and makes you feel all good inside.
My family and friends love to eat it over my homemade Southern cornbread dressing!
I like to cook this when we need just a little more comfort to bring happiness around the table again.
You will need the following ingredients for slow cooker chicken and gravy:
- chicken breasts- You can use chicken tenderloins, but cooking time will be shorter, therefore reduce time to at least an hour. If using frozen chicken, thaw first before cooking in crockpot.
- chicken gravy mix-chicken gravy mix is what I grew up using for this recipe. However, brown gravy mix can be used for a good substitute.
- cream of chicken soup- you can substitute for cream of celery or cream of mushroom soup also. If you are watching your sodium intake, use a low sodium creamed soup.
- chicken broth- if you are watching your salt intake, use a low sodium chicken broth.
Watch how to make crockpot chicken and gravy
Follow these easy steps to make crockpot chicken and gravy.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together chicken gravy mix, cream of chicken soup, and chicken broth. (photo 1)
- In your crockpot, add the chicken breasts and the pour gravy mix on top, completely covering all of the breasts. (photo 2)
- Cook on low heat 6 to 8 hours. (photo 3)
- Shred chicken with a fork to absorb gravy and thicken sauce. Rest for 5 or more minutes before serving. (photo 4)
Tip 1: Don't cook the chicken on high heat. Cooking the chicken too fast dries out the breast meat.
Tip 2: Try not to open the crockpot lid more than you need to. The pressure from the heat and steam cook it slow and tender. Opening it releases that heat and steam. The crock-pot has to recreate that process all over again and throws off the cooking time and pressure.
How to thicken the gravy
The gravy in this recipe is not thick.
The broth from the chicken breasts creates more of a sauce consistency. It is flavorful and delicious as is.
However, for a thicker gravy, add one 2 tbs of cornstarch to 2 tbs of warm water. Mix until no clumps. Mix in cornstarch mixture to the remaining ingredients. Return the lid and cook an additional 5 minutes. This will thicken the sauce.
How to serve it
There are many ways to serve this Southern chicken and gravy!! Top the juicy shredded chicken over any of these suggestions and you won't be disappointed.
- Southern cornbread dressing- the dressing sops up the gravy and it is umm, umm good!
- egg noodles
- homemade mashed potatoes
- Southern biscuits
- white bread (This is called a "smothered chicken sandwich" down here!)
- baked potato
Can you freeze leftovers?
Yes! You can freeze leftovers. I do it all the time.
To freeze: Completely cool the chicken and gravy. Label and store in ziplock bag or airtight container. It should be good up to 4 months.
To reheat: Thaw completely. Microwave or cook on stove top until completely heated.
Here are a few other tasty Southern comfort food recipes to try:
- Southern Collard Greens
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans
- French Onion Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Instant Pot Fried Southern Cabbage
- Southern Slow Cooker Green Beans and Potatoes
- Crock Pot Cheesy Bacon Ranch Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
Please leave me a comment below if you make this crockpot chicken and gravy and tell me what you thought about it. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
Crockpot Chicken and Gravy
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 2 packets of chicken gravy mix
- 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl, mix together 2 packets of chicken gravy mix,10.5 oz cream of chicken soup, and 2 cups chicken broth.
- In your crockpot, add 2 lbs chicken breasts and the pour gravy mix on top, completely covering all of the breasts.
- Cook on low heat 6 to 8 hours.
- Shred chicken with a fork to absorb gravy and thicken sauce. Rest for 5 or more minutes before serving.
- Salt and pepper to taste.