This Cheddar Pecan Cheese Ring with Elderberry Jelly is a beautiful appetizer perfect for crowd pleasing parties and family gatherings.
The sweet and tart Elderberry Jelly compliments the sharp and salty cheese mixture. It is absolutely delicious!
*I was given a variety of Norm Farm's Elderberry products to sample and give my honest opinion. I was not compensated for this post.
Cheddar Pecan Cheese Ring recipe
My husband's Aunt Priscilla Cullinane gave me this Cheddar Pecan Cheese Ring recipe. She is a very talented cook. Everything she brings out of the kitchen is incredible. If you go to visit her, you know you are going to be spoiled with great company, a homemade meal, and tons of baked goodies. She makes this cheese ring with Strawberry Jelly which is really, really good. However, the Elderberry Jelly really makes this recipe FANTASTIC!!!
You may wonder why I would change the jelly from strawberry to elderberry.
If something isn't broken, why fix it? Good question!
Only 10% of the elderberries consumed in the US are actually grown here; the other 90% are grown in Europe. Norm's Farm is the forefront of growing this crop in the US! The elderberry is a superfruit packed with Vitamins A, B and C , iron, potassium, and the powerful antioxidants.
Hippocrates called elderberry his medicine chest.
Rodger gave me a wonderful sample package to try out to see how I liked it. I had never had elderberry before. I knew I would like the jams and jelly.. I mean, they have sugar, what's not to like? But I had no idea how much I would LOVE IT!
The Elderberry Jelly was soooo Good! The jelly was sweet and tart, similar to a cherry mixed with raspberry, only better.
The Elderberry Wellness Syrup has also been a huge hit in our household. It is sweet with hints of clove, honey, and cinnamon. You drink it to prevent colds in the winter and support your immune system.
My husband and sister in law were beginning to get a cold, so I pulled out the wellness syrup for them to try. Why not try something natural if you can, right? They loved it. They have been drinking shots of it since. My husband swears it is keeping him from getting sick. He has the worst immune system and is around people everyday at work. The Elderberry Wellness Syrup's vitamins and antioxidants are keeping him well. I will be keeping stock of this on hand from now on.
I will be using his Elderberry Extract for a future Mocktail recipe coming soon!
The Elderberry Ginger Pecan Jam, Blueberry Elderberry Preserves, and Elderberry Jam are all terrific. They make great gifts. Best thing is when you purchase from Norm's Farm, you will be supporting a local small farm advocating farm preservation and sustainable production.
Now back to the question of why use Elderberry Jelly for this recipe? The strawberry jelly is good. But the Elderberry Jelly has the perfect balance of sweet and tart that compliments the saltiness of the sharp cheese. It isn't quite as sweet as the strawberry. The Elderberry Jelly is so good on the cheese ring that after a couple of bites, you will need to walk away. Otherwise you might find yourself miserable from eating the entire thing yourself! Don't say I didn't warn you!
This Cheddar Pecan Cheese Ring with Elderberry Jelly is a beautiful appetizer for entertaining.
It will also pair nicely with a good bottle of wine! Go and make it! Tell me how you like it! Support our local farmers and get some Elderberry Jelly. Tell them I sent you. You will love it and when you do, I told you so!
Cheddar Pecan Cheese Ring with Elderberry Jelly
- 1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese FINELY SHREDDED!
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small onion grated
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 9 oz jar Elderberry Jelly
- Serve with crackers.
- Finely grate sharp cheddar cheese.
- Mix cheese, mayonnaise, onion, and pepper well.
- Roll cheese mixture into a ball and roll into chopped pecans.
- Create a well in the center of the cheese ball to form a cheese ring.
- Pour Elderberry Jelly into the center of cheese ring.
- May be made ahead and refrigerated.
- Serve with crackers.