This easy classic broccoli bacon salad includes red onion, cheddar cheese, and raisins, then tossed in a creamy sweet dressing. It is a perfect crowd pleaser for potlucks and backyard barbecues.
Broccoli salad was a popular side dish to many church potlucks and backyard barbecues that I grew up attending. While I hated eating cooked broccoli as a child (thank goodness I out grew this), I loved this salad!
The combination of sweet and salty has always been pleasing for my palate. This salad continues to be a favorite of mine still today.
How to make broccoli bacon salad
Follow these easy steps to make a delicious broccoli bacon salad.
- In a large bowl, mix bite sized broccoli, crumbled bacon, red onion, cheddar cheese, and raisins. (photo 1)
- In a seperate bowl, mix mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar. (photo2)
- Pour dressing mixture over broccoli salad. Mix well. (photo 2)
Tip: Dice cheddar cheese into small chunks or cubes as seen in image above. Shredded cheese will get mushy in the dressing. Diced cheese will hold it’s shape and flavor.
How long does it last in the refrigerator?
This broccoli salad is good for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
There are several variations to this classic broccoli bacon salad! Follow this recipe exactly for a classic version or make it your own with one of these options:
- Omit cheddar cheese
- Omit cheddar cheese and add mandarin oranges
- Add sunflower seeds, roasted pecans, or cashews
- Substitute dried cranberries, dried cherries, dried blueberries, or dried pineapples in place of raisins
- Substitute apple cider vinegar or tarragon vinegar in place of white vinegar
- Add cherry tomatoes
- Use half broccoli and half cauliflower
- For a Keto version, omit the raisins, and substitute sugar with a low carb sweetner
Looking for more classic side dishes for potlucks or barbecues? Try:
Please leave me a comment below if you make this broccoli bacon salad and tell me what you thought about it. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
Broccoli Bacon Salad
- 8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 large head of broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 8 oz sharp cheddar diced into small chunks
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- In a large mixing bowl, mix 8 slices of crumbled bacon, 1 head of chopped broccoli, 1/2 cup diced red onion, 1/2 cup diced sharp cheddar.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix 3/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup sugar, and 2 tbsp vinegar.
- Mix dressing with broccoli salad and serve.