This Greek Black Eye Pea Salad is a flavorful, healthy twist on the traditional Greek salad recipe.
It is easy to make and perfect for potlucks, cookouts, and family gatherings.
Black Eye Pea Salad
I was dining at an amazing Mediterranean restaurant called The Lazy Goat in Greenville, South Carolina and they had a Greek Black Eye Pea Salad on the menu. They called it the “Lazy Man’s Greek Salad.” I was intrigued by the name alone and had to order it. I had never had the Black Eyed Peas mixed with the fillings of a Greek Salad. It was DELICIOUS! I wasn’t sure why it was called the “Lazy Man’s Greek Salad.” Could it be because you can make a huge batch and eat off it for days before making another meal? It is good enough to eat for days….
Regardless of my perplexity, the “Lazy Man’s Greek Salad” was tasty enough to go home and try to recreate myself. I could eat this stuff by the bowl fulls.
The black eyed peas really soak up the Greek dressing perfectly and makes a delicious compliment to the traditional Greek Salad ingredients.
It is quick and easy to throw together. Maybe that is why it is the Lazy Man’s salad? While the restaurant’s name for the dish was really cute, I decided to take on the more boring name of Greek Black Eyed Pea Salad. I didn’t want my recipe to be lost in the world of Google Search….
I hope you enjoy this lovely little salad. I actually prefer this to the lettuce version. I make a big batch and eat on it for days. It also makes a delicious filling for wraps. Enjoy!
Greek Black Eye Pea Salad
- 2 15.5 black eyed pea cans drained
- 2 to matoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 cup black olives
- 1/2 onion
- 1 cup fresh feta cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop tomatoes, cucumbers, bell pepper, olives, onion, and feta cheese. Add to a large bowl.
- Mix black eyed peas to salad.
- Mix olive oil, red wine vinegar, mustard, basil, onion powder, oregano, garlic, and red pepper flakes together in a separate bowl. Pour over salad.
- Mix Black Eyed Pea Greek Salad together well. Refrigerate an hour or more to allow the flavors to build. Salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition- Nutrition info is based on estimation only.