Most of my family lives in Wisconsin. Besides the Packers, Wisconsin is known for their beer, brats, and cheese.
In this slow cooker beer brats recipe, I am going to teach you the tricks I have learned on how to cook the most delicious crockpot beer brats and onions you will ever make!
The people who live in Wisconsin have their own tricks to making the perfect brats.
Some people cook them in beer and onions before grilling them and others grill the brats first.
I prefer grilling my brats first to lock in the crispy skin.
To make the BEST slow cooker beer, brats, and onions, you will need the following ingredients:
- onions-I prefer the yellow or white onion
- beer-choose a good bold flavor
- brats- plain brat are optimal because you are flavoring with beer and onions
- sweet barbecue sauce-choose a thick sauce
- hot sauce-I use Texas Pete, but you can use any kind you like
- Dijon Mustard
How to make slow cooker beer, brats, and onions
Making these beer brats and onions is SUPER EASY! Follow these simple steps to make.
- Slice onions into thick rings. (photo 1)
- Sauté onions in butter until softened, but not completely cooked. Do not caramelize. (photo 2)
- In a mixing bowl, combine barbecue sauce, Dijon mustard, and hot sauce. Mix well. (photo 3)
- Add onions to slow cooker. Pour barbecue sauce mixture over onions and mix well. (photo 4)
- Grill Brats about 3 minutes on each side to crisp the outer skin.(photo 5)
- Add Brats to Crockpot. Pour beer over onions and brats. Cook in Crockpot 6 to 7 hours on low. (photo 6)
Tips for the perfect Brats
Cooking your brats long and slow in the beer sauce allows the brats and onions absorb that amazing beer flavor.
Tip: This is an opportunity to cook with a really good flavored beer. Some people use a cheap light beer, but the brats can handle a flavorful beer.
I like to use a locally brewed hoppy craft beer from Dirtbag Ales. Dirtbag Ales is a great little brewery located in Hope Mills, NC.
If you have the opportunity to visit the place; the beer is good and the atmosphere is fun.
Tip: If you do not want to use a grill, you can crisp the outer skin of the brats on a cast iron pan or skillet. Cook 3 minutes on each side.
Take a look at these slow cooker beer brats.... They taste as good as they look. I hope you enjoy!
Note: This recipe was written for an article I wrote for City View Magazine in Fayetteville, NC. I was asked to create recipes cooking with wine and beer for their Food & Wine Issue. I also included my Port Wine Cheese Ball and Easy Cheesy Jalapeño Beer Bread recipes.
Looking for some delicious sides to go with these brats? Try?
- Bacon Ranch Potato Salad
- Southern Slow Cooker Green Beans and Potatoes
- Broccoli Bacon Salad
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Baked Calico Beans
- Seven Layer Salad
- Baked Beans Quintet
Please leave me a comment below if you make these beer, brats, and onions, and tell me what you thought about it. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
Best Slow Cooker Beer Brats with Onions Recipe
- 4 onions
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 local beers
- 12 brats
- ½ cup sweet barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- Slice 4 onions into thick rings.
- Sauté onions in ¼ cup butter until softened, but not completely cooked. Do not caramelize.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ½ cup barbecue sauce, ¼ cup Dijon mustard, and 1 tsp hot sauce. Mix well.
- Add onions to slow cooker. Pour barbecue sauce mixture over onions and mix well.
- Grill 12 Brats about 3 minutes on each side to crisp the outer skin.
- Add Brats to Crockpot. Pour 2 beer over onions and brats. Cook in Crockpot 6 to 7 hours on low.