Calico Beans is a baked casserole made with an assortment of beans combined with bacon and ground beef that is mixed in a thick sweet tasty sauce.
It makes a great side dish for cookouts and back yard barbecues.
It makes a lovely addition to hotdogs, hamburgers, and pulled pork.
Calico beans are sometimes called "Cowboy Beans " and "Trucker Beans."
I imagine you could make these beans on a fire, hence a perfect meal for a cowboy that is herding cattle.
However, I am not sure where "Trucker Beans" came from. Do you?
Watch how to make
For this baked beans casserole, you need the following ingredients:
- ground beef-You can substitute with ground turkey or chicken, but beef is better
- pork and beans or baked beans
- kidney beans-I prefer the dark kidney beans, but you can use light red kidney beans
- butter beans- If you can find the large butter beans, I recommend those. If you can not find butter beans, you can use lima beans.
- mustard- Yellow is fine. If you want to use a hearty grain mustard, that would be good also.
- brown sugar-Dark is better, but you can use light brown sugar if that is what you have on hand.
Follow these steps to make calico beans.
- Cook bacon until crispy. Crumble into pieces.
- Cook onion in 1 tbs of bacon grease.
- Cook ground beef and drain fat.
- Mix butter beans, pork and beans, and kidney beans together and add to a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Mix ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar together.
- Mix in the sauce with the beans.
- Mix in the bacon, ground beef, and onion.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
About the recipe
I was visiting my Aunt Sue this summer in Wisconsin and being the nosey recipe hunter that I am; I raided her recipes. She is a great cook.
Hidden among her recipe stash was this Calico Beans recipe. I took one look at the ingredients and knew I had to make this dish.
Unlike my Southern Baked Beans Quintet recipe, it is simpler and incorporates ground beef. It looked like a tasty combination.
I did a hot dog cook off with a group of my friends and it was the perfect occasion to make the Calico Beans.
Hotdogs and baked beans go hand in hand!
They were sooooo GOOD!!!! Every bite begged for more.
They also disappeared pretty fast. It is a great crowd pleaser.
I now get asked for the recipe all the time.
I really do think this is the best Calico Bean Recipe ever.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Happy eating from my family to yours!
Please leave me a comment below if you make this calico beans recipe, tell me what you thought about it. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
Deliciously Baked Calico Beans Recipe with Bacon
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ lb bacon
- 15 oz can drained butter beans
- 30 oz can pork and beans do not drain
- 15 oz can drained kidney beans
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 1 tsp mustard
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- small onion diced finely
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook ½ lb bacon until crispy. Crumble into pieces.
- Chop one small onion. Cook onion in 1 tbs of bacon grease.
- Cook 1 lb ground beef and drain fat.
- Mix ¾ sup ketchup, 1 tsp mustard, and ¾ cup brown sugar together.
- Mix bacon, beef, sauce, onion, 15 oz butter beans, pork and beans, and 15 oz kidney beans together and add to a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Bake 40 minutes.
- Serve immediately.