Making homemade baked tortilla chips is easy.
With only three ingredients, you can have crispy, crunchy, salty, tortilla chips that taste even better than the restaurant chips!
The best thing about this recipe is they not deep fried!
Therefore these corn tortilla chips not only taste better than the fried versions, they are healthier also!
Are you a salsa and chip fan? To me, nothing is better than perfectly crisp, crunchy chips.
They are definitely my weakness.
Watch how to make baked tortilla chips
I was once in a small Bible Study group that met together once a week for lunch.
One day, one of the ladies brought homemade tortilla chips.
They were incredibly crunchy, perfectly salty, and had hardly any hint of oil.
I couldn't believe they were homemade.
I, of-course, begged her immediately to tell me how she made them.
Fortunately, she shared her homemade tortilla chips recipe with me and I have been making oven baked tortilla chips ever since!
You will need the following simple ingredients to make baked tortilla chips.
- corn tortillas-White or yellow corn tortillas are reccommended.
- olive oil-You do not need much oil for this recipe, so I suggest using an olive oil spray or mister for a light even coating. You can use a different oil like avocado oil, coconut oil, vegetable oil, or peanut oil. I prefer olive oil.
- coarse salt-A little crunchy coarse salt adds texture and flavor. You can also use a little sea salt.
Steps to make
Follow these steps to make healthy tortilla chips.
- Cut tortillas with a sharp knife or pizza cutter into 6 pieces.
- Spread tortilla triangles out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Add olive oil with a pastry brush or olive oil spray. (You do not need parchment paper.)
- Next, dust tortilla wedges with a very coarse salt.
- Then bake at 375 in a preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Cook time may vary based on your sheet pan or type of tortilla, so keep a watchful eye the last few minutes.
Easy? Yes? These healthy tortilla chips have just as much flavor as the fried greasy versions and pack an even bigger crunch.
I have been making these now for years.
What kind of tortillas do you need?
For best results, I reccomend white corn tortillas or yellow corn tortillas.
They offer the an authentic flavor and pack a fantastic crunch.
You can use flour tortillas, however, I personally do not recommend it. Flour tortillas will become crunchy, but will not offer the same authentic flavor as the traditional restaurant style tortilla chips.
Tips for the perfect crunch:
Here are some tips for making the perfect chips!
- Dark sheet pans make a crispier chip and cook faster. If you use a dark pan, keep an eye on the chips. They cook very fast at the end and you may have to adjust the baking time.
- You can brush olive oil, but you will use more olive oil that way than you need to. So my suggestion, if possible, use a olive oil mister or sprayer. This will allow you to lightly even coat the chips.
- Use a good, coarse, crunchy salt. You can use less salt with a coarse salt. It also adds more flavor and texture to the chip.
- Want to make a spicy variation? You can use my Jalapeno Salt to make it spicy. A little goes a long way, so be careful!
- For a flavor variation, add lime juice and chili powder.
How long do homemade baked chips last?
Store your leftover chips in an airtight container at room temperature. Then they will last one to two weeks long.
However, they never last more than a day or two in my home because they get eaten!
Dips for your chips!
Looking for some great dips for those homemade chips?
Here are some of my favorite dips.
- Greek Seven Layer Dip
- Jalapeno Salsa
- Peach Salsa
- Spicy Taco Dip
- Beer Cheese Dip
- Dill Pickle Dip
- Pimento Cheese with Olives
- Texas Caviar
- Jalapeno Cilantro Hummus
- Fresh Pico De Gallo
I hope you enjoy these chips.
If you make these baked tortilla chips, please tell me what you think in the comment section! It would mean the world to me to hear back. My readers will appreciate the information also.
How to Make Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips- Healthy & Easy
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to taste coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cut corn tortillas into quarters. Then cut quarters into halves, creating 8 chips per tortilla.12 corn tortillas
- Spread chips out on a baking sheet.
- Spray or brush olive oil over each tortilla.2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt chips.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes depending on your baking sheet. Darker baking sheets cook faster. They are done when completely crunchy. You may need to cook in multiple batches.
- Let chips cool before serving. Store in airtight container. They should stay crispy up to a week.