Ambrosia Salad is an American variation of fruit salad that has been around for years. This classic “church salad” has been made for many church family gatherings, potlucks, backyard barbecues, and pig pickings. It is quick and easy to make. Make Ambrosia Fruit Salad for your next gathering!
Do you remember this classic dish from your childhood?
Ambrosia means, “Something something very pleasing to taste or smell.” I remember as a child always seeing this colorful dish on the church potluck tables and being incredibly fascinated by the marshmallows and cherries. I alway placed a heaping scoopful on my plate and it was one of the first things I would dig into. Next, I would pick out the maraschino cherries, eat them first, then devour the rest. It was indeed pleasing to taste. I wasn’t afraid to go back for seconds. I also remember ambrosia fruit salad on the table of my grandmother’s family barbecues. She sometimes made this or alternated with pistachio mallow salad. I miss my grandmother terribly. Whenever I make this no-bake dessert, it makes me think of her, and brings back happy memories.
What is Ambrosia Fruit Salad Made Of?
To make this pretty ambrosia fruit salad, you will need the following ingredients:
- maraschino cherries
- mandarin oranges
- crushed pineapple
- sweetened coconut flakes
- toasted chopped pecans
- mini marshmallows
- Cool Whip
- sour cream
Do you have to use pecans?
The pecans give your salad a great crunch and texture. I do recommend using nuts, but if you do not want to use pecans, you can replace them with toasted walnuts, cashews, or almonds.
How do you make Ambrosia Salad?
Ambrosia salad is crazy easy to make. Follow these steps:
- Toast the pecans.
- In a large mixing bowl mix pecans with the remaining ingredients.
You can serve immediately, but I like to chill mine at least an hour before serving. When making it, set aside a little of your coconut flakes and a few of your oranges and cherries. You can use them to garnish. It will make your ambrosia salad pretty!
Looking for some more church potluck recipes? Try some of these:
- Seven Layer Salad
- Southern Sweet Potato Casserole
- Tomato Grits Casserole
- Calico Beans
- Hash Brown Casserole
- Cranberry Apple Casserole
- Banana Pudding
- Strawberry Cream Shortcake Trifle
- Chocolate Eclair Cake
Did you make this recipe? Rate it and leave a comment to tell me what you think! My other viewers will appreciate your feedback! xoxo!
Ambrosia Fruit Salad- With Sour Cream and Cool Whip
- 3/4 cup pecans chopped
- 8 oz cool whip
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 11 oz mandarin oranges drained
- 20 oz crushed pineapple drained
- 10 oz maraschino cherries drained
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Bake 3/4 cup chopped pecans at 350 for 5 minutes. Allow the pecans to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine pecans, 8 oz cool whip, 1/2 cup sour cream, 11 oz mandarin oranges, 20 oz crushed pineapple, 10 oz maraschino cherries, 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes, and 2 cups marshmallows.
- You can serve immediately, but I like to chill mine at least an hour before serving.