This restaurant style homemade salsa recipe can be made easily in your food processor or blender in 5 minutes!
The flavors are fresh and delicious! You will never buy store bought salsa again!
Do you love restaurant style salsa? This recipe is just like the red salsa the Mexican restaurants serve with chips at your table.
I double the batch when I make it because it disappears fast in my home.
Make sure to make my homemade chips to go with it!
They are super easy also and go brilliantly with this red salsa!
Watch how to make
Here are the following ingredients you will need to make this homemade salsa recipe:
- Canned diced tomatoes and chiles-Spicy or mild
- Canned diced tomatoes
Can you use sugar instead of honey?
I love the flavor of honey in this salsa. It adds a touch of sweetness without overpowering the sauce.
Honey also balances the acidity.
However, if you don't have honey on hand, you can substitute it for 1 teaspoon of white sugar.
How to make salsa from scratch
Follow these easy steps to make salsa from scratch.
- Measure out your ingredients.
- Chop the the onion and jalapeno into large chunks to allow them to move freely in your food processor or blender.
- Add all of the ingredients to your food processor or blender.
- Pulse until smooth!
Tip: To get the most juice out of your limes, before cutting, microwave them for 20 to 30 seconds. Also, roll them with firm pressure on a hard surface.
Tip: If you want it mild, substitute one small bell pepper for a jalapeño.
Tip: If you want it spicier add one more jalapeño or add a serrano pepper.
How long will it last?
Homemade salsa will last 5 to 7 days in the refrigerator.
You can freeze fresh homemade salsa, but I do not recommend it. Frozen salsa becomes very watery when it is thawed out.
If you love salsa as much as I do, you might want to try some of these other made from scratch salsa recipes:
You can also check out my 20 Easy and Delicious Salsa Recipe Round Up featuring some of my recipes and recipes from other food bloggers!
Please leave me a comment below if you make this red salsa and tell me what you thought about it. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
Also post your picture of your homemade salsa on Instagram or Facebook, and tag @aforkstale with #aforkstale hashtags! I will share with my followers! xoxo!
Homemade Salsa Recipe (Restaurant Style)
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes with chilies
- ½ onion roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped or 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño seeded
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- medium sized handful of fresh cilantro washed
- juice of one lime
- salt to taste
- In a food processor or blender, add: 14 oz can diced tomatoes, 10 oz can diced tomatoes with chilies, ½ onion roughly chopped, 1 garlic clove, 1 jalapeno, 1 teaspoon honey, ¼ teaspoon cumin, large handful of cilantro, juice of 1 lime, and salt to taste.
- Pulse until smooth.