15 Minute Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken is easy to make, full of delicious spicy flavor, and healthy!
It is great as an entree or on tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and over rice.
This Mexican chicken dish is also paleo friendly, low carb, and gluten free.
You will love this tasty dish.
This week, I have been doing a bit of meal prep.
I have been making a bunch of meals for my husband to take to work every day.
I also have made some meals I keep in the freezer to grab for the days I don't have time to cook.
This has kept us from going out to eat for an unplanned dinner.
Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken is PERFECT for meal prep!
It tastes amazing the minute is finished cooking or reheated from being frozen!
Give it a try!
Watch how to make
You will need the following ingredients:
- chicken breasts-You can substitute with skinless, boneless chicken thighs.
- Goya Salsa Verde or my homemade Salsa Verde
- chili powder
- smoked paprika
How to make it
Follow these easy steps to make salsa verde chicken in the Instant Pot
- Add half of salsa verde in Instant Pot.
- Top with spices.
- Add jalapeño, cilantro, and onion.
- Top with chicken breasts.
- Save ¼ cup of salsa verde and pour remaining salsa Cook chicken on high manual pressure for 10 minutes. Naturally release when done. Shred chicken in Instant Pot to allow the chicken to absorb the liquids.Add remaining salsa verde.
- Add lime juice. Mix well.
Tip: Most of the sauce should be absorbed back into the meat.If it needs to thicken, use Sauté setting for about 3 minutes.
*Note: To keep things simple, you can use the jarred salsa verde. However, if you want to make everything from scratch, you can make the homemade tomatillo salsa verde in this Instant Pot salsa verde chicken recipe!
*This post contains affiliate links.
Tips for Meal Prep
Recently, I have been making my Instant Pot Shredded Buffalo Chicken and 15 Minute Instant Pot Orange Chicken and this 15 Minute Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken for some of my meal prep dinners.
I put them in individual containers and put a serving of the chicken, rice, and veggies.
Next, I label each container with the name and date so I can use up the old ones first.
Before, my husband ate out at restaurants for lunch every day on his lunch break.
Now he eats what I pack in his lunch box.
He is very appreciative.
I use these [20 Pack] 32 Oz. 2 Compartment Meal Prep Containers Durable BPA Free Plastic Reusable Food Storage Container Microwave & Dishwasher Safe w/ Airtight Lid For Portion Control & Bento Box Lunch Box for the meals.
The containers that aren't divided.
For my personal use, I have found the containers with 3 separate compartments are too big for storing in the freezer and lunch box.
I also am not a fan of their lids either. Therefore, I don't suggest them personally.
Rubbermaid also makes a great set. However, they are much more pricey.
Looking for some other great Mexican Inspired meals? Check out these tasty dishes!
- Barbacoa Beef
- Mexican Black Beans
- Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Soup
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Mexican Quinoa
- Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips
- Mexican Fried Ice Cream
- Spicy Taco Dip with Cream Cheese
- Mexican Turkey Meatloaf
- Five Minute Restaurant Style Salsa
Please leave me a comment below if you make this salsa verde chicken and tell me what you thought about it. I would love to hear back, and so would my readers.
Also post your picture of your chicken on Instagram or Facebook, and tag @aforkstale with #aforkstale hashtags! I will share with my followers! xoxo!
15 Minute Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Breast Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 17.6 oz Goya Salsa Verde Or your favorite Salsa Verde Jar
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jalapeño diced
- ½ onion diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 lime
- Add 8 oz salsa verde in Instant Pot.
- Top with 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Add 1 diced jalapeño, ¼ cup chopped cilantro, and ½ onion diced.
- Top with 2 lbs chicken breasts.
- Save ¼ cup of salsa verde and pour remaining on chicken.
- Cook chicken on high manual pressure for 10 minutes. Naturally release when done.
- Shred chicken in Instant Pot to allow the chicken to absorb the liquids.
- Add remaining salsa verde and juice of 1 lime. Mix well.
karrie @ Tasty Ever After
I love my instant pot too! Of course, I won't have one if you didn't convince me to buy one 😉 Love salsa verde chicken and love that I can make it in my IP. Gonna make this and put it in some tacos tonight 🙂
Elaine @ Dishes Delish
Holy moly! This chicken salsa verde looks so incredibly delicious that I want it for lunch!! Mmmmm.
Excellent! Made this last night with frozen chicken, my 2nd IP meal, and my husband couldn't stop saying how this was the best chili verde he's ever had! And he has had a lot of chili verde from everywhere. I did have a problem with my IP coming to pressure so I popped off my gasket and started it again. Over cooked the chicken a bit but it still was so good! Thank you!!
By the way I did use Goya salsa verde which I think is the key along with the smoke paprika!
I just got an Instant Pot for Christmas and this is the first recipe I made in it. It was fantastic!!! I used the Chi Chi's mild verde and put most of a vidalia onion and 3 cloves of garlic in with it - the onion and garlic disappeared into the sauce and the chicken was so tender and easy to shred. We are having a couple of sour cream/cream cheese based dips tonight for New Year's so I wanted something tangy to go with them. We will DEFINITELY make this again. Thanks for the recipe!
This was the best salsa verde recipe I have found. Thanks for sharing!
I love instant pot recipes, this salsa verde is unique and interesting looks delicious.