Ok ya’ll! This one is good! Real good! Whenever we have a barbecue, I make this Southern Baked Beans Quintet and my guests go nuts over it. Forget the calories… This is not a dish for your waistline. But it is a side dish that your guests will pile on seconds and ask you for the recipe.
The crumbled bacon and five types of beans makes this the best tasting and best looking baked beans you will ever make. The added sweet maple syrup compliments the beans and bacon. Let’s just say: DROOL!! This recipe requires a little more work than your typical baked beans recipe, but I promise it is worth it. Make it, bake it, serve it, eat it, and when you say, “WOW,” I will say, “I told you so!” This is a requested side dish from both my friends and family. Now I am sharing this with you. Enjoy!
- 10 slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbs garlic
- 16 oz can butter beans, drained
- 16 oz can red kidney beans, drained
- 16 oz can pork and beans
- 16 oz can black bean, drained
- 16 oz can lima beans, drained
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 3 tbs yellow mustard
- 5 tbs of maple syrup or pancake syrup
- pepper to taste
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until real crispy. Reserve 2 tbs of drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Cook onion and garlic in bacon drippings until tender.
- Combine onion mixture, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour into a lightly greased casserole dish.
- Cover with crispy, crumbled bacon. Cover dish with tinfoil and bake at 375 for 1 hour.