Individual Bread Dressing with Pears, Bacon, and Blue Cheese; with this combination, what’s not to love? Preparing this dressing into singular servings creates a modern presentation to the traditional holiday side dish. The contrasting sweet and salty flavors will work beautifully along the side of turkey. This dressing is a perfect addition for your holiday dinners and parties!
I was recently asked by City View Magazine, in Fayetteville, North Carolina, to write their holiday food feature on dressing recipes. I was so excited, flattered, and delighted! This would be my first article in print and they were using my photographs! I, of course, accepted the challenge. You can read the full article here, “To Stuff or to Dress.”
Requiring a Dressing Theme, City View Magazine wanted something unusual and very tasty for their Holiday Issue. My first recipe was a very special dressing recipe that has been in my husband’s family for many generations. His family makes Granny Moore’s Recipe every Thanksgiving. It was an endearing experience to be able to share this sacred recipe. I decided to make something a little on the daring side for my second recipe. I chose to make a Pumpkin Chorizo Dressing that offers a perfect balance of a little heat and a little sweet. Because the holidays are full of parties, I wanted to devise a recipe that could be prepared for a gourmet dinner or entertaining. Thus, for my third recipe, this Individual Bread Dressing with Pears, Bacon, and Blue Cheese was created. All of these dressings are flavorful and unique in their own way and I hope you have an opportunity to try all three!
- 10 cups dried bread cubes
- 8 oz bacon
- ¾ cup finely chopped celery
- 1 large onion or 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cup chopped pears
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- ¾ cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- ½ tsp dried sage
- 4 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease two 12 serving muffin pans. Set aside.
- Place bread in large mixing bowl.
- Cook bacon until crispy. Drain bacon reserving 2 tablespoon of the drippings. Crumble bacon and add to bread bowl.
- Sauté celery and onion in bacon drippings until soft. Add in chopped pears.
- Sauté mixture until onions begin to caramelize. Add brown sugar.
- Sauté additional minute for sugar to flavor the mixture.
- Add sautéed mixture to bread bowl.
- Add parsley, blue cheese, and sage to bread bowl. Mix well.
- Beat eggs in separate bowl. Add eggs and broth to bread bowl. Mix well.
- Evenly distribute dressing mix in the two prepared muffin pans.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour. Serve.