This Mexican Quinoa Recipe is almost shamefully easy. The flavorful, colorful ingredients makes it an incredibly tasty dish.
Tired of having rice as a side dish? This Easy Mexican Quinoa Recipe is packed with healthy, wholesome goodness. However, it tastes so good, everyone will forget they are eating something nutritious. It is a great alternate to traditional Mexican Rice!
My husband does Cross Fit and he likes to eat a lot of brown rice for good energy carbs to help his endurance and performance in his work outs. Cross Fitters burn a lot of energy. I make my Jalapeño, Cilantro, and Lime Brown Rice as a side dish often when I do meal prep for him to take to lunch for work. However, he doesn’t want to eat the same thing over and over again.
This Easy Mexican Quinoa is a tasty, healthy alternative. My daughter loves it.
There is absolutely nothing borking about the flavor combinations from the saltiness from the sauce, the spiciness from the chili, cumin, and jalapeño, the tartness from the lime, and the added textures from the corn and beans. You could eat it all on it’s own if you wanted. I like to use it as a side dish for Tacos or my 15 Minute Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken.
The greatest thing about this delicious dish is you basically throw it together in one pan to cook. There is very little fuss.
You can watch video tutorial here:
*I use chicken broth for my recipe to cook this. However if you are a vegetarian, you can use vegetable broth and it will just as good.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 14.5 oz fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup corn can or frozen
- 1tsp chili
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ lime juiced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté the garlic and jalapeño in olive oil in a large pan for 1 minute.
- Add in quinoa, broth, beans, canned tomatoes, corn, chili, and cumin. Stir.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover.
- Cook for 20 minutes, checking on it occasionally and stirring.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Top with chopped tomato and garnish with cilantro.