This Cucumber and Dill Salad Recipe is an incredibly fresh, flavorful easy salad. It takes about 10 minutes to prepare and tastes amazing! Give it a try. You will love it and thank me for it later. I promise. And when you do, I told you so!
My Grandma Kriz would make this dish with her summer meals when I came to visit. My uncle grew cucumbers and dill in his backyard garden and would bring them over freshly picked for my grandmother. The cucumbers had that summery garden smell and his dill was so flavorful and tasty. My grandmother would thinly slice the fresh cucumbers, chop up the dill, add her other ingredients, and in just a few minutes, she made this amazing salad. I couldn’t wait for dinner time to eat it. It became a favorite side dish to me growing up and now has become a cherished side dish to my children and husband.
It literally takes just a few minutes to toss together and is super easy. You can serve it immediately, but I like it to allow the flavors to build by leaving it in the fridge for an hour or more before serving. If you are trying to go low carb, you can omit the sugar or use a sugar substitute. It is a perfect side dish for potlucks, barbecues, and family gatherings. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- You can use dry garlic and dill, but fresh tastes so much better.
- This cucumber salad can get a bit watery if you leave it overnight. It is best served the day of making it.
- 2 cucumbers
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Thinly slice cucumbers. I use a mandolin slicer for perfect cutting.
- Finely chop onion and mix with cucumbers in a large bowl.
- Add Dill.
- In a separate bowl; mix garlic, mayonnaise, sugar, white wine vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Add dressing to cucumbers. Mix well.
- You can serve immediately, but for best results, chill in refrigerator an hour before serving.